4: Bonding

By the way guys, when I talk about the glass or clear wall in front of the cells, I’m referring to the design of Arkham Asylum in Batman: The Animated Series. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“What the hell is this?!”

I looked up from my place at the edge of Joker’s bed to meet green, glowering eyes. They belonged to a twig of a woman with wild, red hair. She seemed to be in her mid fifties, and she did not look happy.

“Uhm, well, he was trying to take a nap, but then you spoke and woke him up, and I’m reading. . . . .? I kind of thought this was quite obvious to a person of the third party.”

“Oh, don’t pretend like you’re smart!” she growled. “Get back into your cell.”

Joker sat up and placed me on his lap, chuckling, whispering in my ear. “Doll, you’re so sassy, I love it.” 

I smirked and gently kissed his cheek, the woman gasped in disgust.

“What the hell?”

I sighed. “Yes, we know you are in shock. This is my husband. Okay? It isn’t a sin to kiss him. Don’t be a party pooper, and leave.” I played with Jack’s hair to pass the time. It was starting to fade back to dirty blonde. 

“I guess we have to take you by force!” she growled.

“Nope.” Joker commented lightly, taking my hand in his.

“And why not?”

“Because then I will kill you, and play with your blood, laugh at your cold corpse and then, I’ll make sure your family finds your useless flesh on the side of the road,” he spoke as if it wasn’t a threat, but a simple statement. Her eyes widened momentarily, but she let out a sigh in defeat and left us.

“We’re going to Hell.” I commented. My green haired love gave me a funny look.

“I thought that was obvious from day one.”

A laugh left my lips, I shook my head and glared at him playfully. 

He was grinning, but all of a sudden a flash of worry overcame his features, and he looked away before I could fully see the expression.

“Hon?” I questioned lightly.

“I just thought of something.”

“Of what?”

“Our son,” he sighed. “Is he okay?”

I smiled softly as the realization hit me. He was always masking emotions, but he really, truly did care about Kellen. “Gwen is watching him. He will definitely be okay.”

He nodded silently, as if he didn’t want to talk anymore on the subject or admit any more emotions.

“Hey, you know you can tell me anything, right?” my words were soft and sweet, catching his attention and causing him to look back at me. “I’m here. I’ll listen. You can show me your emotions.”

“But that isn’t me.” 

Silence came once more and I realized in fact that I could not change the way he communicated feelings, but all was okay. I’d deal with it, because I’ve always been able to.

“Alright.” I nodded, feeling a bit of joy as I was able to grasp onto the fact that we actually communicated. 

“When’s lunch?” he asked, checking his watch. “My stomach is gonna eat me alive pretty soon.”

“At twelve thirty,” I replied, holding my legs, resting my head on my knees.”shouldn’t you know?”

“I try to forget.”

“Forgetting won’t work,” I shrugged. “Arkham is our home away from home, might as well get used to it.”

“Great to see we’re being positive.”

I laughed at his sarcasm, kissing his cheek before retiring to my own cell. His bed was too small for the both of us. I lay awake for hours before falling asleep, thinking about Kellen, and how he must be doing.