14: The Replacement pt. 2

~*~Gadget’s point of view~*~

When we walked into the GCPD building, nervousness washed over me as I realized how stupid it was to accept the assistant job. What did happen to Harley Quinn?

The police officers looked up at me with annoyance, then at Joker.

“You have a new Harley?”

“Gross. No,” Joker sighed. “She’s a replacement. The missus is out having fun.” he smirked. “How’s the wife, Jim? Ooh, forgot she left you.”

Gordon’s eye twitched when Joker said that, I wanted to hit him in the arm for saying that, but if he did he’d probably kabob my insides.

“Why are you here?”

At this point, every gun in the building was pointing at us, and for some reason, it felt fun. I was dangerous, they wouldn’t shoot yet though, because of how absolutely clever The Joker was in these situations.

They didn’t know his plan, and it scared them to bits.

“Well, we wanted to invite you to the little party we’re having in central Gotham,” he smirked. “RSVP!” he added, laughing loudly. I winced.

“Why would you tell us?”

He smirked. “So maybe, you could try to save the little people who will get caught in the explosions,” he shrugged. “It’s always fun to watch.”

“You’re a sick man, Joker!”

Joker turned to the cop who said that, his face showing clear signs of boredom. “Sue me,” he spoke, looking away, but he then quickly turned back to the man, laughing harder. “Oh, that’s right, you can’t!” he was cracking up while I awkwardly stood next to him, I wasn’t sure of what to do or say.

“One day, we’ll have you pinned up,” Gordon spoke angrily, pointing a finger at him.

“Wow, I’m shaking in my boots,” Joker sighed. “Really, find better jokes, you’re boring me, commish.” he started to walk out, I followed awkwardly.

“We could shoot you right now, you know!”

“Just try,” he sighed as he walked out, casually getting into his van as I jumped inside the passenger seat. I looked at him, confused. We were halfway home when he finally commented. “This is just really boring for me. We haven’t done anything new and exciting in ages.”

“Why not?” I frowned.

“We have done everything there is to do. I’m bored. Bats just seems to have disappeared.”

“No,” I shook my head. “I saw him on the news last night.”

“Really?” he thought for a moment. “Hm. Making appearances but ignoring me. Ah, he’s testing me, then, ooh that little rodent!”

“Okay, obviously you have the capability of killing him, so why don’t you?”

“He’s too much fun. Don’t be a party pooper, doll.” he slammed on the breaks, my hands stopped me from flying forward. He seemed to show disappointment for my lack of blood, though, for he muttered and looked out of the window before starting to drive again.

“Why not just take a break?” I questioned innocently.

“And how would I just simply take a break” he questioned darkly. “I need to scare as many people as possible so I can have my way. Gotham isn’t fully ours.”

“And how will we make it ours?”

“By proving to Bats that he can’t do anything to stop us.”

I thought, then scoffed. “Then why won’t you mess with the people who Bats seems to visit most often?”

“I’ve thought of that.”

“And?” I frowned. “You obviously didn’t do a good job of it.”

“You’re right,” he murmured softly, deep into thought. We parked at the back of the house and got into the house without anyone noticing us. We couldn’t give away where we lived to the cops. They’d just hunt us down.

“Wait, what if the target isn’t you?” I questioned.

He slowly turned to me. “What do you mean?”

“What if it’s-. . . .”

His eyes widened. “Caerulea. . .” and with that, he zoomed passed me, back to his van and sped off. I frowned, hoping she was okay. 

I could see now why they were married. It was completely clear. He adored her completely, even if he didn’t show it.

He was rushing in to make sure she was alright, something I thought I’d never see The Joker do.