1.11 Mother's Day

"Is today Mother's Day?" Jake asked holding a dolphin statue. He and Sam were both wearing aprons as the four of us (Felix was still reading that stupid book) cleaned around Phoebe's shop.

"Yeah, that's right. Every Mother's Day, me and my brothers always promise my Mum we won't fight for the whole day." Sam mentioned swiping a dust glove along the glass shelf.

"In our world, me and Mum would be getting ready for the game right now." Jake stated in a daze staring at a dolphin statue.

"My Dad always tells me and my brother to make a card, and then my brother gives my Mum the card, and she cries." Felix says monotonously.

"My dad and I have an unspoken rule of avoiding each other on Mother's day. Its kind of literally unspoken that way. Charlie told me it's cause I look like mum and it makes Dad even more sad." I scoffed and lowered my voice muttering to myself. "I'm a walking reminder of his wife that's dead because of me." I trailed off biting my lip dropping a couple of books that I was organizing on the floor. Phoebe glared in my direction. "Sorry Phoebe." I call out crouching down to pick up the books.

"Stop distracting me. This is our only protection against the demon, and it's broken." Felix said holding urgently holding up the talisman.

"Yeah, thanks Sam." Jake said sarcastically.

"I was possessed!" Sam cried out in defense.

"I think brainwashed is a more accurate term." I correct Sam putting the last book back and moving by the front door to straighten the figurines.

"Did you find Alice's spell? She's your best chance to defeat the demon." Alice said in a slight mocking tone.

"Is she that powerful?" Andy stopped sweeping to ask in a tone of disbelief.

"Yep. I don't know what's taking you so long, Felix." Phoebe continued, I stopped paying attention when an apron is thrown in the box under the table I was working at. Jake stood beside the table quickly putting his flannel on and picking up a small gift bag.

"You leaving?" I ask quietly fiddling with an owl statue. He nods and fixes his hood. "Be careful." I remind him not looking at him.

"I'm sorry about your dad Max." Jake mutters, I freeze not exactly expecting him to respond. He doesn't wait for me to either as the wind chimes over the door ring out as Jake leaves the shop.

"Hey Jake, where did you put the brush and pan thing?" Andy asks not realizing Jake had left.

"Oh, great." Felix said sarcastically.

"Weren't we all supposed to stick together?" Sam asks bewildered.

"Whats the point? That stupid talisman can't protect us." I say slightly bitter. I hate Mother's day.

"I was possessed, alright?" Sam told me tiredly,

"Guys, the demon could be back at any time." Felix reminded us.

"And Jake's on his own." Andy said. I put the owl down and went into the back. I threw my flannel on the bottom bunk and grabbed my bag, it only has my notebook, a pen, my ear-buds, phone and my empty inhaler now. I misplaced my copy of Harry Potter after I had finished it. But that's besides the point. I put my bag over my shoulder and walked back out into the shop.

"Let's go find Jake." Felix said nodding to us.

////////////

"What are we gonna do if the demon comes back?" Sam asked as the four of us walked down an alleyway. "We barely escaped last time when it was my girlfriend, and she's a pacifist."