1.9 Magic

"I didn't want to do this stupid bush walk in the first place and now we have to do it again? This is bullshit." I mumble to myself while putting my jeans on while inside a sleeping bag.

"I couldn't agree more." Felix agrees with a yawn.
I stand up and I double check to make sure I have everything. I left the school skirt and shirt in a pile with the other guys uniforms. But grabbed my red and black flannel and tied it around my waist before putting my bag on. Felix leaves the shack shortly after Sam, I follow behind closing the door. Sam, Jake and Andy are lined up sitting on a log as Felix and I make our way towards them.

"And get lost again?" Sam asks just as we step up to them. I take the elastic out of my long hair and use my fingers as a comb.

"No, we find the valley and the wormhole." Andy declares.

"And how exactly does this work?" Felix asks seeming annoyed.

"In this universe, the excursion was delayed. What if the wormhole was delayed as well? We could find it again." Andy explains in a hopeful tone.

"And you have trouble believing in magic?" Felix states in disbelief.

"It's worth a shot, dude." Sam informs Felix.

"We're supposed to be at Phoebe's this morning, remember?" Felix points out. I sigh and braid my hair behind my back.

"Where we have to magically locate a missing person? And you think my plan has problems." Andy finishes with attitude.

"Come on, Sam. I thought you believed in magic. And, Max, Jake, you saw what happened with the dogs." I shrug and play with my compass.

"Andy's right. I mean, it's a bit of a long shot." Jake points out.

"Magic or science." Andy stands up and moves to Felix's other side."Which path do we take?"

"OK, let's vote. Andy's solution?" Felix offers. Jake points his finger in the air. Sam raising his hand soon after. "Sam." Felix groans.

"Sorry, dude. It kinda makes sense." Sam defended. The guys all turn to me.

"What about you Max?" Felix asks hopeful. I take a deep breath and rub my neck.

"You know what? I am tired, I'm hungry. I smell like garbage, hell I actually Ate garbage. My back hurts and to be frank I'm about this close to just punching each of you in the face you argue with each other one more time." I rant holding my fingers a centimetre apart. "I don't give a damn how we get home. I'll even take a pair red shoes and me clicking my feet and singing, there's no place like home. Okay? I don't care how it happens but it better happen soon."

"Alright then. Let's go wormhole hunting." Jake says changing the topic.

////////////////

"Phoebe's gonna be really angry with us." Felix tells us condescendingly. As we walk up to the school.

"Phoebe! We need her signature." Andy halts and holds out the permission slips. I take them out of his hand grabbing a blue pen. "What are you doing?"

"Making a pizza. What does it look like?" I tell him sarcastically as I write Sam Hartley in the student section moving onto the adult signature and scribbling Phoebe Hartley in messy cursive quickly passing it down the line before starting on the next one.