Chapter 12

The Gods each gave me a warm smile, and I bowed in respect. They returned the greeting, and quickly looked to Edgar, waiting to see what would happen. Edgar's jaw clenched, and he stepped forward, holding out his hand to me. I swallowed as I slipped my hand into his, expecting the delicious jolt of electricity to shoot up my arm. But nothing happened. My brow furrowed in confusion as I stepped down from the stairs. 

"Come come! The feast has begun!" Each god turned away, following an eager Agidios through a grand archway. But the entire time, I was holding my breath. Edgar's icy glare hadn't eased one bit, and he jerked his hand from mine, immediately following the others.

 I wanted to scream, run up to him and shake him until his head spun. I just wanted him. I inhaled deeply, plastered on a smile, and walked after him. My dress dragged on behind me, as the hem swished comfortingly against my bare legs. Through the arch, there was a massive hall. The sides encased in mirrors, and heavy chandeliers which hung from gold ropes. Large windows towered from the floor to the ceiling, and beside each one stood a wide, proud pillar. But it was the hand carved chestnut dining table that deserved the most attention.

It boasted hundreds of platters, brimming with fruits, heaped with meats, and piled with every other delectable cuisine imaginable. Each god chose their place, waiting patiently as their own servants came to pull out their chairs. I stood beside the last empty seat, realizing that Edgar was sitting directly across from me. As we all sat, Agidios remained standing, his arm out raised with gold goblet. Servants poured in from the archway, each one holding a jug of wine. After everyone was served, Agidios cleared his throat loudly, commending attention.

" I am glad that we could all be here today, to share this wonderful feast, and each other's company. Let the business be saved for later. Now, we eat!"

Agidios threw back his drink, then slammed his goblet down on the table with a hearty strength. Every God followed, and a  small uproar of cheerful agreements echoed throughout the hall. I couldn't hear anything, I couldn't taste anything. It seemed that the food had turned to ash, and I had become deaf. Because I didn't come here to eat, I didn't come here to become intoxicated - I came here to win back the man I love. And he didn't even give me a single glance of acknowledgement. Edgar hadn't touched his wine, and he stared down at his plate as he ate quietly amongst the noise of the Gods.

I forked my food with impatience, and wasn't shy about watching him as he ate. I was certain that my arrival hadn't been a waste. Or maybe I just didn't want to face the truth...Edgar finished his plate, and a servant stepped forward, but Edgar shooed him away.

"Thank you so much for the feast, it was delightful. But I must get to bed, my trip was quite tiresome. I bid you all good night." The Gods nodded their heads, and Edgar threw a quick glance my way. My heart skipped a beat, as I watched him turn to leave.

Edgar, please, I need to talk to you, will you meet me in the courtyard?

There was no response, he continued walking. He didn't even flinch. I couldn't hear his thoughts anymore, something was definitely off. Ever since the creation of the treaty, a telepathic connection had been placed between Edgar and I. I tried again.

Edgar?

Nothing. He remained unfazed, and eventually he disappeared upstairs. A queasy sense of suspision shrouded me, and I quickly excused myself from the hall. I raced up the stairs, grabbing a handful of my dress to clear my path. Only the bottom floor remained lit, and I slowly tip toed through the dark, passing by each bedroom while glancing inside.

But I couldn't find Edgar, and I listened closely for any movement. I reached the final room on the right, about to open the door, when a clammy, iron hand clamped itself over my mouth. My eyes widened with shock and I desperately tried to scream, but another hand slithered around my throat.

I  desperately tried to break free, my arms flailing as my attacker dragged me down the corridor. I kicked against the floor, trying to grab the banister as I was being taken. My feeble efforts did nothing, and I was just about to give a final attempt when my head was slammed into the wall. An eerie silence followed, and slowly, I slipped into a deep, dark abyss.