Chapter One

I walked in confidently, my crew trailing behind me, an even mixture of women and men, black and white. We were all equal on my ship.

I didn't recognize anyone. Not surprising, but it would have been nice to have someone to speak with.

The entirety of the ocean's scum had gathered to observe the Fifth Brethren Court. That meant me too, obviously -- Jacqueline Sparrow was a pirate. Once a pirate, always a pirate, something like that. And I was certainly qualified to be here. Anyone that argued would receive a verbal beating worthy of my mother.

I could close my eyes and hear her voice. She had a rather smooth, lovely tone, but when she yelled it turned a tad shrieky.

"Jacqueline --  you filthy, waterlogged, cockroach -- I will not rest until you've been hung with a pink ribbon! Get your stinking ass back here --"

"Eric?" I asked my first mate, blinking away the memory. "Stand with me, will you?"

"Certainly." He nodded, gazing around at the assembly with his large blue eyes. His shoulder-length blond locks were held back with a green bandana. "Do you know anyone?"

"No. Which I why I need my faithful and exceedingly handsome first mate at my side!" I threw an arm around his shoulders and grinned, gesturing at the crowd. "I wouldn't trust these hooligans to empty a chamber pot!"

He raised his eyebrows at my theatrics. I wondered for a fleeting moment why he still found me odd after sailing with me for some five years. "Should you...speak with someone?"

I nodded. "Probably." I paused. "Why not?" Making my way further into the Pirate Hall, I kept an eye for anyone looking remotely friendly.

A man, looking about forty, was sitting in a chair on the right side of the table. He was smiling, his teeth bright against the ebony of his skin. Men of similar color surrounded him.

"Excuse me, Captain?" I stopped in front of him, holding my hand out. "Wonderful to meet you, I am Jacqueline Sparrow."

He sat up and shook. His grip was firm, his palms calloused. A working captain, then. "Kaptaan Mani Abaelard. I assume you are Pirate Lord of the Caribbean?"

I smiled, liking him immediately. Not all pirates were cold and ruthless. "Haan. Did you know Jack?"

"Jack Sparrow? No, but I have heard many stories." His dark eyes gleamed with amusement. "Gentleman Jocard spoke well of him. I am Pirate Lord of the Atlantic Ocean."

Gentleman Jocard. So he is dead, then? Shame...mom wouldn't be too disappointed, I mused. "Congrats on your title. I hope I'm taken seriously..."

He laughed, a deep chuckle. "For what it is worth, mitr, I take you seriously. That woman, behind you, she has been eyeing you for the past few minutes."

I grinned back, getting the jist. I could feel a pair of eyes burning a hole in my skull now that he pointed it out. "I'll just go check that out, then. Bidadee!"

"Goodbye, Jacqueline." He said, waving me off with a small smile.

I turned, to Eric. He fell into step beside me as I weaved my way to make the acquaintance of the woman Mani had spoke of. "There's an ally. He was a good choice of conversational companion, Eric, I commend you."

"I didn't..."

"Just take the credit, o fîlos mou," I spoke in Siren, grinning. "Let's see. She looks Chinese, don't you think?"

"Perhaps we shouldn't--"

"I know, she looks exceptionally friendly! Come along, Eric!" I grabbed his hand, yanking him with me. He made a quiet noise of amusement.