8. Old Responsibilities

Gajeel and Juvia walked for a while until he finally turned around and confronted her.

"So you really don't remember anything?" He asked.

"I...I'm sorry. I don't," Juvia shook her head.

"Well that's a problem..." Gajeel started pacing.

"Why? Is there something I should know?" Juvia asked, concerned.

"I might as well tell ya... We were just about to go on a secret job. Just the two of us. To find the remains of that new dark guild, Serpents of Chaos. Master wanted to keep it secret so that the dark guild members won't go into hiding. We're supposed to be finding them and keeping tabs on them. Does any of this ring a bell?" Gajeel sounded frustrated.

"No, but I understand. When do we start?" Juvia asked.

"It's supposed to be tomorrow. But..." He paused.

"But what?" Juvia asked, confused.

"You said you don't remember anything. Do you at least remember how to use your water magic?" Gajeel asked.

"I... I don't know. I haven't tried yet," Juvia said.

"That's what I was afraid of. You need to train before we can do this." Gajeel sighed. "I'll get everything ready for the job. You spend tonight and tomorrow practicing your magic so you're ready to go by tomorrow night."

"Okay..." Juvia said, as Gajeel left. She started to make her way back to the guild hall when she heard someone outside. Juvia peered into the trees to see a guy standing alone. She recognized him to be Gray, the guy she supposedly had a huge crush on.

"Gray?" Juvia said, approaching him.

"Oh, Juvia. It's you. What are you doing out here?" He asked, looking at her and then looking away.

"Just had to... Um..." Juvia remembered the secrecy of the mission. "Get some fresh air. You?"

"Same here." Gray spoke with few words. The two of them were silent for a few moments. Juvia was trying to think of the words to say what she felt about the whole situation.

"Gray... I was told that before the accident... Before the amnesia... The old Juvia had something of a crush on you," Juvia said, awkwardly.

"Uh... I guess so." Gray looked away, not knowing how to respond to that.

"Well. I can tell..." Juvia paused. She noticed his body language and how tense he was with her next to him. "I can tell that you did not have the same feelings."

Gray turned around, surprised. That's not what he expected to hear. And he wasn't sure how that made him feel.

"Well..."

"I just wanted to say that it won't be a problem anymore. The Juvia who was obsessed with you is gone now. So, I was just hoping we could be... Friends?" Juvia held out her hand.

Gray paused. Wasn't this exactly what he had wanted? He nodded.

"Friends."

The two of them shook hands and made their way back to the guild hall.