Chapter Fifty Five

Start from the beginning

They're quiet again after that, until Zayn breaks the silence by clearing his throat, it's not awkward it never is, not with him and Louis. Louis glances over to him before laughing "so how does it feel to be engaged?" Louis asks and Zayn can't help the huge smile he feels overtaking his face, "it feels amazing, like it was meant to be, you know?" he asks. Louis chuckles shaking his head, "no I don't know, but I can tell from that goofy smile, that you do" he teases. Zayn pouts, blushing slightly, and Louis whines before crowding into his space, "I didn't mean it as a bad thing Zee, promise" he murmurs, before pressing a wet sloppy kiss to Zayn's cheek. Zayn grimaces and wipes the spit off his face, "and how's Harry?" he asks, mostly to change the subject, but also to watch Louis light up. Louis doesn't disappoint, his cheeks flushing with colour as his eyes brighten, "he's amazing Zee I'm glad I didn't wait any longer in making him mine" he murmurs. Zayn grins at him happy for his two best friends, "are you gonna propose Lou?" he asks, but Louis shakes his head, "it's too soon for us, I probably will but not for a while longer" he explains. The conversation switches topics again after that to the most random things the two can think of, and Zayn is just happy to spend some time with Louis, alone again.

The apartment is dark, and quiet when Zayn slips back through the door, shutting it quietly behind him, to tip toe across the carpeted floor towards the bedrooms. He curses lightly when he kicks the coffee table, feeling his left foot begin to throb, as he hops on his right foot, around the offending piece of furniture. Zayn bites his lip as he listens for any indication that he's woken Bella or Liam up, it is late after all and he really doesn't want to disturb them. He and Louis had lost track of the time, playing video games and just talking, like old times. Zayn finally makes it to his and Liam's bedroom, to see a crack of light under the door, furrowing his eyebrows he pushes it open to see Liam sitting up in bed, with the lamp on, and his laptop in his lap. Liam looks up when Zayn opens the door smiling at him "hey, how's Louis?" he asks. Zayn bites his lip making his way closer to flop across Liam's legs, "he's fine, didn't really fight with his mum, just missed me. Sorry I'm so late" he murmurs. Liam chuckles carding a hand through Zayn's hair, "don't be, did you have fun?" he asks. Zayn grins, pushing into his hand more, "yeah it was good. How was Bella?" he asks, Liam shrugs, "she was fine, Zee, only asked where you were once. Then we made some dinosaur shaped chicken for dinner, and I bet you can't guess what she made me watch" Liam explains. Zayn laughs at this, pushing up to look at Liam more, "let me guess, Frozen?" he asks and Liam's eyes widen comically, "how did you know?" he gasps and Zayn laughs, "she does love that movie" he chuckles, as Liam nods.

Zayn snuggles into Liam then, pushing the laptop away to get closer, Liam chuckles, closing the computer and setting it on the floor, "what's gotten into you?" he asks, catching Zayn's hand in his own. Zayn shrugs, biting his lip, "don't know really, just want cuddles" he mumbles. Liam laughs at that, nodding his head, "I can provide cuddles" he chuckles, pulling Zayn closer, Zayn sighs happily snuggling into Liam's chest a little more. They lay quietly for a minute after that and Zayn's just thinking about everything, before he sits up a little, making Liam furrow his eyebrows at him, "you alright Zee?" he asks slowly. Zayn nods, before climbing out of the bed, "yeah, I'll be right back though" he murmurs walking slowly out of the room.

Once he's in the hallway Zayn beelines for Bella's door, he pushes it open carefully, to see Bella in a tangle of hair, and blankets, snuggled into her bed. Smiling Zayn makes his way over to her bed, careful not to wake her up, he leans down to smooth some hair away from her face, and drop a kiss to her forehead. "I love you Arabella. So much" Zayn murmurs, taking in her sleeping face, she looks so peaceful, and innocent while she's sleeping, "sweet dreams" he adds,before dropping another gentle kiss to her head, and standing up to head back to bed. When he gets back to his and Liam's bedroom, Liam smirks at him, "is she still in one piece?" he asks, Zayn groans, rolling his eyes, as he pulls his shirt off over his head. "Yes, she's fine, and I knew she would be, I just needed to say goodnight" Zayn mutters. Liam chuckles, making grabby hands in Zayn's direction, Zayn rolls his eyes, but complies cuddling back into Liam's chest. Zayn glances at the clock as Liam's arms wrap around him, "we should get to sleep, we both know she's going to wake us up at stupid o'clock tomorrow" he mumbles, and Liam laughs nodding, and reaching to turn off the lamp. "Goodnight Li" Zayn murmurs, as they're plunged into darkness, "night Zee" Liam answers before Zayn drifts off to sleep.

Zayn's sleep doesn't last long before he feels someone tapping on his shoulder while urgently calling for him, "Baba, wake up" Bella whines. Zayn blinks his eyes open immediately and looks to see his pouting daughter, "hey Boo, what's going on?" he asks, voice heavy and rough from sleep. Arabella reaches out for him, "scary Baba" she pouts, as Zayn scoops her into his arms pulling her up into the bed, Bella snuggling into his chest as he does. "What was scary?" Zayn murmurs, keeping his voice low in an attempt to not wake up Liam. Bella whines and shakes her head against his chest, "monster, under Bella's bed" she whimpers, Zayn runs a hand through her hair, leaning down to kiss the toddler's forehead, "baby, there's no monsters under your bed" he reasons. Bella shakes her head at him "there is Baba. Bella heard them" she insists, Zayn sighs, but before he can say anything else Liam's rolling over and running a hand down Bella's back, "what did they sound like, Princess?" Liam asks, his voice gravelly, which makes Zayn bite his lip, now is not the time to be getting turned on by Liam's morning voice. Bella whimpers and burrows into Zayn a little more, "like scary" she whimpers as an explanation and Zayn smiles lightly. Liam pushes himself up then, sitting up and turning on the lamp, making them all squint at the sudden brightness, "you stay here with Baba, I'll go check on the monsters" he says, swinging his legs off the bed. "No Daddy. Stay, not safe" Bella whines reaching out to grab onto Liam's wrist. "Shh, love. You're okay, let Daddy go check and then when he comes back we can all snuggle and sleep in here, okay?" Zayn murmurs. Bella pouts, but nods her head, rubbing at her eyes, a little as a yawn escapes, Liam smiles lightly, before disappearing into the hallway.

Zayn cuddles Bella to his chest as they wait for Liam to come back, when he does a minute later he smiles at them, "there's no monsters Princess, I think they got scared when they heard me coming" he grins. Bella's eyes widen, but she doesn't say anything as Liam climbs back into bed with them. Zayn adjusts his position so Bella is snuggled between them, and Liam drops an arm around both Bella and Zayn, before Bella's eyes flutter shut, and both men know she's gone back to sleep. "Night" Zayn mumbles, as his eyes close, "night Zayn" he hears Liam murmur, before he drifts off to sleep again.