Chapter Nineteen

CHAPTER NINETEEN

"What the fuck? Jake, what are you trying to say?"

Jake sighed, running a hand through his hair.

"Please don't kill me. Just give me time to explain!"

Dakota completely removed me from his lap before standing. Jake stood up, his hands up.

"You have five seconds to explain what is going on," Dakota growled.

Jake opened and closed his mouth a couple of times, looking from Dakota to me. Dakota growled, crouching down, getting ready to lunge at his best friend.

"Wait, Dakota - "

I stood up, moving between the two of them. Dakota's eyes widened in surprise and I stared into his eyes, my back nearly pressed against Jake's chest. Dakota began to glare at Jake at our near contact and I put a hand on Dakota's chest.

"Dakota...breathe. I'm sure Jake has an explanation but...you need to calm down."

"How can I calm down when Jake's over here trying to-to- "

I grabbed Dakota's face and made him look at me.

"I am your mate," I whispered.

He stared at me with wide eyes and I didn't look away.

"I am your mate and Jake is your best friend. If you attack him or hurt him, you'll regret it. Please. Let him explain. I don't really understand it either yet. But he deserves a chance to explain before you get angry," I whispered.

Dakota watched me for a moment before sighing. He stood up, no longer ready to kill Jake and I let go of his face.

"Come on, let's sit down and take a breath. Jake, you need to try and explain this please."

Dakota and I sat down on the couch and Jake stood there, watching us. I looked at him, our eyes meeting before he frowned. His eyes looked sad.

"Before...before you told everyone that Olivia was your mate, I thought...I thought she was my mate. I never told anyone because at the time...she was the witch that everyone feared. I didn't want anyone to know and ridicule me. But then you said she was your mate and...I don't know, it doesn't make any sense."

Neither of us said anything for a long moment and Jake continued.

"That's why I jumped in front of you when your mother was attacking you. Even though...even though Dakota had announced to everyone that you were mates, I still felt it. I still felt the bond. It didn't make any sense. I didn't understand any of it. I was in so much pain at the time and none of it made any sense. But once I saw how you were when she was unconscious Koda, I knew. Olivia wasn't my mate, she was yours. The pain you felt when she was unconscious wasn't anything near what I felt. She was constantly on your mind, to the point that even when I was on patrol I could hear your thoughts. But it still doesn't make sense why...why the moment I first saw Olivia, I fell in love with her."

Dakota and I were both silent. My heart was thumping in my chest at Jake's words and I didn't know how to respond.

Could it be...?

Dakota began to shake next to me, pulling me from my thoughts. I grabbed his hand and he turned to me.

"Jake," he growled.

I swallowed.

"Look, I know this is so messed up. You're my best friend Koda. She's your mate and my future Luna. It's all so messed up."

I stared between them. Dakota was sitting on the edge of the couch, jaw clenched as his muscles quivered beneath his skin.

He's so angry.