Chapter Thirteen

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

~ OLIVIA ~

I sat there in complete shock from Dakota's words, trying to understand.

He...has a son?

I sat there, staring between Dakota and his son, who he had held in his arms.

He has a son.

I immediately scooted back, trying to get some space between the two of them and myself. I don't understand.

First, he was telling me all about mates, how important they are and that they're your family and all of that, and now he's telling me he has a son?

I thought that was something you did with your mate?

I stared at them both, confused and scared.

I don't understand.

A part of me even felt like...like I had been cheated on.

Come on Olivia, you know that's not fair. You aren't exactly the purest person in the room either.

I frowned some more, looking at the two of them.

"Olivia...I know what you must be thinking. I know this is a lot to take in. But I can explain. It's not what you think, I promise."

I watched him, terrified. Dakota motioned to Sarah, who entered the room and took Michael from his arms.

"Sarah, tell mom that we'll be out soon. Olivia and I have to talk."

She nodded at Dakota, before fleeing the room with Michael, shutting the door behind her.

I looked back at Dakota, my eyes wide.

"Look, Olivia, it's not what you think. I'm not married, I don't have a girlfriend or anything like that. He...he was an accident..."

I got angry at that. An accident? Typical. Maybe I got it all wrong. Maybe Dakota is like other guys, guys who can't keep it in their pants.

Just...hear him out first, before you judge Olivia.

I closed my eyes to calm myself and took a deep breath. When I opened my eyes, I found him sitting in the chair, waiting for me. I nodded towards him, letting him know to continue.

"This...what I'm about to tell you isn't easy for me to explain. It's really difficult to talk about. I feel..."

He sighed and rubbed his face.

"One of the...worst things about being the son of the Alpha is that enemies will see you as possible leverage to get the Alpha to do what they want. As a child, I was to be protected at all costs, to prevent enemies from...getting to me."

I stayed silent, unsure of where this was going.

"One thing you have to understand is...some packs aren't nice. Right now, I know you feel that way about my pack. And it's going to take time for me to show you that the Blue Shadow pack is a good pack, a great one, with a few bad apples. But...that doesn't mean that there aren't bad packs out there."

Dakota was no longer looking at me but was instead looking at his hands as he picked at the skin around his fingers.

"There are some packs, some wolves out there that would stop at nothing to take down other packs that they see as a threat. Other packs that they see as insignificant. There are some Alphas out there that want nothing more than to take down other packs, to strengthen their numbers, and become the largest pack out there."