Chapter One

CHAPTER ONE

I woke up with a start, the sound of someone banging around in the house making a sinking feeling enter into the pit of my stomach. I scrambled out of bed, needing to be up when he got in here.

"Olivia! You bitch, you better be awake!"

I jumped when the door flung open, the knob hitting my wall so hard it put a new hole in my wall. That was just fixed...

I looked down at the floor, knowing that looking him in the eyes meant a beating.

I focused on looking at my feet, watching my toes against the dark wooden flooring. I'm so pale...

Suddenly a pair of boots came into view and I glanced up, not daring to look at his face. I stopped when my eyes got to his chest region and his hand connected with my face.

I went flying to the floor, surprised at the smack. My left cheek was stinging, my jaw hurting from how hard he hit me.

I rubbed my face, knowing I'd have a bruise later. At least it wasn't a punch this time.

"Excuse me? Did you use your powers today?" He growled.

I didn't answer his question fast enough which angered him. He reached down and grabbed me by my hair, pulling me up. I squeaked in pain and he pulled my face towards his.

"I said, did you use your powers today?" He yelled.

I jumped and shook my head no, even though I knew it was pointless. He was going to call me a liar and beat me anyway.

He growled and threw me to the floor.

"Liar. You think you can be sneaky and use those wicked powers of yours. You'll never get strong enough to do what you're destined to do. You're worthless. Weak!"

I laid there, not bothering to move. It was pointless to fight back.

He walked back to me, kicking me in the gut. I curled into a ball, wrapping my arms around my head to protect it. His kicks were always the worst since he wore steel-toed boots.

He landed a couple of good kicks to my legs and abdomen before leaning down and landing a punch on my face.

"Don't you ever use those powers you fucking freak. Remember we own you," he growled.

I stayed silent and he stomped out of the room, slamming the door shut behind him. I laid there for a long time, not wanting to move because of the pain I was in.

My mind went to all the times I've tried to escape...all the times I've tried to run away or kill myself.

Nothing works. If I run away, they find me. They always find me.

If I try to kill myself, they fix me back up so I'm good as new. I can never escape. I'll never be free.

I began to think about these powers that my parents don't want me to use. They aren't anything special. I don't even know everything that I can do because I've been forbidden from using them since I was a child.

Laying on the floor, I thought of my father's words, knowing how true they were. I am a freak. I have these stupid powers I can't even use. I'm a witch that goes to an all werewolf high school. I don't have friends or a family. I'm a functional mute by choice. I'm beyond a freak.

I inhaled sharply as I began to pick myself up off the floor. I grabbed a sweater, changing into that and some shorts, before climbing into bed. I laid there for a long while, staring at the hole in the wall my father had left from slamming the door.