Chapter Eighteen

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

~ OLIVIA ~

I ran from the backyard and from Dakota, entering the woods at the back of the yard. I wasn't sure where I was going, I just knew I needed to get away.

I pitched forward, tripping over a root from a tree, and fell in a meadow. I was still crying, my body hurt from the fall.

I looked around and found myself in the meadow where the pond was - the place where I had talked to Dakota for the first time.

Pain erupted inside of me as I began to think about all these happy times I've experienced and how...how that's all going to change now that my parents have come back.

I pushed myself to my feet, my body in pain from the fall and all the fighting from this morning.

I made my way across the bridge and sat down in the center of the island. Sobs racked my body and I tried to calm myself down.

Breathe Olivia...breathe.

I closed my eyes, taking a deep breath. A strange sensation began to run through my veins, spreading throughout my body.

I opened my eyes as the feeling grew.

What's...what's happening to me?

The sound of the meadow around me began to fade - the birds chirping disappeared, the crickets fell silent around me, the breeze no longer blew through the trees. Silence took its place.

I was no longer looking at the bridge but instead found myself in a tree.

What the...where am I? What is this?

I was sitting up in a tree, above a large clearing. I didn't recognize the area but knew that it was important.

Suddenly, there was a loud growl and I looked down.

Underneath me was a werewolf fighting another werewolf. I frowned and looked back up, looking out into the wide field in front of me. Werewolves appeared in the field, fighting one another and my eyes widened.

I jumped from the tree and began walking around, trying to avoid getting hit.

The place was a battlefield.

The once beautiful and luscious green grass was covered in blood. The soil became reddish-brown as blood mixed with it, tainting the Earth.

I continued walking through the field, stopping when I felt a sudden pain in my calf.

"Dakota," I breathed.

I looked around trying to find him. That's when I saw them. Standing across the field from me were my parents, staring directly at me. Laying in front of them was a black-as-night wolf.

"No."

I began to run towards them, trying to bring forth any powers I could. My mother laughed as she reached her hands out, sending electricity through Dakota's body. He howled in pain and I ran faster.

"No, no, no!" I screamed.

I got to them, reaching forward to grab Dakota and pull him away but my hand fell right through him. My mother laughed again.

"Silly girl. You aren't real. You can't do anything."

I stared in horror as my father reared back, kicking Dakota.

No.

My father began to rain down his fists, each punch harder than the last one. I could hear Dakota's bones crunching under my father's punches.