Chapter 26

'Mother? Why am I getting on a boat without you?' A small girl asked as she held the hand of her mother as they walked towards a boat.
'Because my daughter, your father wanted to take care of you.' Her mother replied.
'But what if I don't want father to take care of me?' The small girl inquired.
'He will hurt me, and he would take you away from me.' The woman replied to the girl's question.
'Oh.' Came the reply.

'I love you my daughter, and never forget that.' The woman whispered into her daughter's hair, a tear flowing down her cheek.
'I love you too mother." The girl whispered back and the two embraced in a hug.

'Take care, and remember that I love you... Iona.' The woman said, waving to her daughter on the boat that was now floating away.
'I hope your father takes good care of you.' The woman thought as she turned away from the docks and went back to an empty home.

Iona woke up, tears streaming down her face. I miss you mother. She thought as she stared at the wooden cell.

Slightly away from her, she could see Mia sleeping restlessly, and fearful on the uncomfortable wooden floor.

Iona started humming to herself, a song that her mother used to sing to her. The song was a way that a Viking could propose to one another, it was called 'for the dancing and the dreaming.'

"I'll swim and sail on savage seas." Iona sung softly, her melodic voice bouncing off the walls of the cell, making it slightly less gloomy.
"With ne'er a fear of drowning, and gladly ride the waves of life, if you will marry me." She continued, a tear running down her cheek.
"No scorching sun, nor freezing cold, will stop me on my journey. If you will promise me your heart." She sung, more tears coming down her cheeks.
"And love me for eternity." She heard Mia's voice.

"Oh, sorry, did I wake you?" Iona asked, worried.
"Nah, I was awake since you started singing. And I know that song, Seria used to sing it to me, she said it reminded her of the happy days with her family." Mia said. "Can I sing it with you?" She added.
"Yeah." Iona replied, smiling.

"My dearest one, my darling dear, your mighty words astound me. But I've no need of mighty deeds when I feel your arms around me." Mia sung, her voice bouncing off the walls, making both of the girls smile.
"But I would bring you rings of gold, I'd even sing you poetry, and I would keep you from all harm, if you would stay beside me!" Iona sung, getting into the fast rhythm of the song.
"But I've no need for rings of gold, I care not for your poetry, I only want your hand to hold."
"I only want you near me!"
"To love and kiss to sweetly hold, for the dancing and the dreaming, through all life's sorrows and delights, I'll keep your love inside me. I'll swim and sail on savage seas with ne'er a fear of drowning and gladly ride the waves of life if you will marry me!" The two girls sung, getting up and dancing like maniacs, because they were going stir-crazy.

They both fell backwards and burst into laughter, before they stopped laughing when they heard a loud 'bang' coming from the deck.