Does It Matter?

I awoke to someone brushing the hair from my face, and opened my eyes to meet my mother's. She sat back on the chair she'd pulled up, giving me a small smile. "You two look like a caring family." She murmured.

I looked down at the child in my arms, and then at Victor. Somehow my head had ended up on his shoulder, and his on top of mine. I carefully lifted my head up, letting his head loll back onto the seat.

"He sick?" Mom asked softly.

"Yes." I confirmed, letting her take Harry from me and set him in the recliner across from us.

"Poor dear."

I took his cold, clammy hand in both of mine, warming it. "Yeah. He was miserable last night." I murmured.

She was silent for a moment, watching me take care of Victor. "You know, I have no doubt that Victor is going to ask you to marry him." She murmured.

I sighed heavily, dread weighing my heart down. "I know."

"Are you going to tell him?" She asked me.

I bit my lip, tears pricking at my eyes. "I don't know."

She leaned forward, lying her hand on my knee. "I know you're afraid, honey, but if he really love's you, he won't care." Mom whispered.

"He won't mind in the beginning. But what about years, maybe even months after we're married? He's going to want a family, Mom. He can't have that with me."

Mom sighed heavily. "Honey, you can't condemn yourself for being infertile. That isn't your fault. besides, if you wanted kids that badly, you could adopt." She shrugged.

I looked at Victor. His handsome, but ragged face relaxed with sleep. I had no doubt about how good he was to me, and he'd always surprised me with how tender he was. Every time I expected - wanted him to yell at me, or shake some sense into me, he would pull me into his arms and comfort me with soothing words. What if I lost that, when he found out?

"I can't tell him. Not now." I whispered.

Mom sighed softly and nodded. "I'll go get the soup on."

I gave a smile of thanks to her, shifting out of Victor's grip and standing up. I walked into the kitchen after her, stretching my arms and rubbing my tired eyes.

"Will you keep an eye on the three? I seriously need a shower. I mean it's reaching bio-hazard range." I said.

She let out a laugh and nodded, setting a pot of water of the stove. "Of course."

"Thanks, Mom." I said.

She gave me a wink, and shooed me back into the living room. I grabbed some clothes from the duffel bag, stepping into Victor's room to shower.

I had just finished brushing my teeth and was pulling a brush through my tangled hair, when someone knocked on the door.

I cracked it open, coming face to face with Logan. "Hi. I need to use the bathroom...badly. Ms. Priss has taken a hold of the one upstairs, and she's not going to come out anytime soon."

I laughed and opened the door wider, stepping out so he could step in. I waited a few minutes, lying back on the bed, crossing my legs, and closing my eyes. 

When the door opened, I opened my eyes and turned my head to see Logan, leaning in the doorway. I pushed myself up into a sitting position, and Logan pushed off of the door, coming to stand in front of me.

He helped me up, and grinned down at me. "Thanks."

I smiled back, but was unable to reply as his lips came down on mine. On instinct, my eyes closed. I was stunned, as my arms involuntarily going up to wrap around his neck.