Chapter 4: Constance- Trouble

Start from the beginning

“Hey, did you guys want me to play with you?” I ask the blonde girl.

“Yeah! Constance right?” she asks.

“Yup, and you are?”

“Naomi,” she smiles. “And this is Lizeth,” she points to a girl with pitch black hair. I smile at her, but she just gives me a small grin back.

We play for a little in silence until Naomi starts talking. “So, why did you decide to help Willow?” she asks.

“Why wouldn’t I? She hasn’t done any harm to me, so why not?” sure she's yelled at me, and was really mean, and almost pushed me down when I was helping her, but why not help a person in need? That's just the kind of person I am.

“Well she seems like she doesn’t like you,” she suggests.

“Well my brother has always told me what comes around goes around. So if I help people, only good will come, if I’m mean only bad things will happen.”

Lizeth gave me a long look. “You believe in that too?” she says so low that I was barely even able to hear her.

I nod, “My brother and I have that belief and we go by it.”

She smiles at me. “That’s good to hear.”

“Meh,” Naomi says. “Why help people who are mean to you?”

“People can change, plus maybe one day you have to rely on them,” I respond.

She shrugs.  “Oh well.”

After the conversation, we start talking about something else. Lizeth talking more to me and she even invited me to go to the movies with her on Saturday. Naomi wanted to go to a party instead, but a movie sounded better. We play until the end of class, and everything was great until lunch. I guess everyone had a place to go except me, and I couldn’t find Lizeth or Naomi anywhere. I just got in line for lunch, and right before I could grab my tray, a guy swoops in, picking it up for me.

“Hey, I can help you there,” he smiles.

Warm tingles spread throughout my body as we made eye contact. His eyes were a pretty afternoon sun color. It was just breath taking.

“Umm,” I stutter. “Do I even know you?”

“Yeah, you crashed into me earlier.”

I blush slightly at the memory. “Oh yeah, I’m sorry about that.”

We begin moving down the line, him still holding my tray, and by the looks of it, I'm not getting my tray back anytime soon.

“Sooo, your name is Constance right?” he asks.

“Why, yes. What is your name mysterious stranger who stole my tray and won’t give it back?”

He chuckles. “This charming young man, who is carrying this tray like a gentleman is named Jake.”

I roll my eyes as I got fruit from the stand and some tacos. He carried my tray as I slowly grab some salad and some sour cream. I place everything on my tray thinking he'll let go, but no.

“You know that you look exactly like someone I know?” he states.

“Oh really? I’m guessing you know Willow as well?”

“Why yes I do.”

Gosh he talks so proper with me. I haven’t had anyone really talk to me like that besides Jared. And that’s only because we read and watch British movies. I can sing every part and every word from Sweeney Todd. Man… I’m so lame.