Alternate Ending: Reader x Zen

"You let a fourteen year old put you under a spell?" You raised an eyebrow and smirked. Laxus's cheeks turned red and he looked away from you. "Shut up." He mumbled. You laughed lightly at Laxus's behavior; you were going to miss this. You were going to miss laughing with Laxus and watching his face go red.

"I love you." Laxus said, his voice low. You looked up at him, making eye contact, and saw that he was staring directly into your eyes. "I love you, [Name]." He repeated, leaning in closer. As Laxus's face came closer to yours, you took a deep breath through your nose.

I'm sorry, Laxus.

Right before Laxus's lips touched yours, you turned your head to the side, avoiding his attempted kiss. Laxus's eyes widened in surprise, but he didn't move an inch. "[N-Name]?" He stuttered, a hint of fear in his low and quiet voice.

Why did you turn your head?

Why did you avoid kissing him?

Weren't you two just getting along?

Didn't you watch the lacrima recording? You saw that he didn't intentionally cheat on you. What was the problem?

"I'm sorry, Laxus." You mumbled.

Laxus felt his heart beat faster and faster at your apology. Please, no. Please don't let it be what I think it is. He pleaded in his head. "No no no no no no no, [Name]." He stammered, pulling away from you and grabbing your shoulders. "W-What's the matter? Everything was going so well, don't do this! Whatever the problem is, I-I can fix it!" The tone of his voice practically screamed "I still love you. Don't leave me."

"You can't fix this problem, Laxus." You sighed, pushing his hands off of your shoulders. You stood up on your feet, Laxus's eyes following your every move. As you began walking to the metal door, Laxus pleaded to you once again.

"[Name], wait!" You stopped walking, but you didn't turn around to look at him. "What can I do . . . to keep you by my side?" He asked, his voice breaking as if he was about to cry.

You sighed again before you spoke in a distant voice. "I just can't  . . . . be with you right now." You began, "When I kiss you, I'll think of her, a stupid fourteen year old." You laughed at yourself, but the laugh wasn't at all a happy one. "I won't see your face when we kiss, I'll see hers. It'll be like I'm dating her instead of you. And I don't want that."

"But . . But . . ." Laxus lowered his gaze to the ground.

"I don't hate you for it." You spoke up. "I know it wasn't your fault, . . . . but it's just . . . hard."

"[Name], I- . . . Please, don't do this! I promise I won't even hang out o-or glance at with another girl again!" Laxus pleaded on all-fours. He was bowing so low that his forehead was touching the ground. "I love you and I can't lose you!"

He had feared this when the Thunder Legion had convinced him to confess to you in the beginning. The idea of you not wanting him anymore was glued on tight in the back if his mind, but he never expected it to actually happen. And the fact that Laxus was begging surprised himself. He knew he would never beg anybody else. You were special. But if anybody saw him,he'd be utterly embarrassed.

Or pissed, depending on the person.

"Laxus,-"

"I'll do anything!" He shouted.

"I think I understand what [Name] is saying." You looked over your shoulder at Zen who was sitting up, leaning against the wall of the restaurant. "She doesn't hate or dislike you, Laxus. But what [Name] needs right now is a . . . break." He said, searching for the right word.

Laxus slowly lifted his head off of the ground, straightening his back. In all honesty, he had completely forgotten that, that redhead was still here. And Zen happened to see Laxus in his most vulnerable state.

"Oh, is that so?" Laxus asked sarcastically, his voice dripping with pure anger. He glared at the redhead over his shoulder. The Laxus from a minute ago was nowhere to be found. "By the way, don't call me Laxus as if you know me. Don't try and solve our problem as if you know us. And don't 'think' you understand [Name] because you don't!"

You were about to scold Laxus for being undoubtedly rude to Zen, but before you could get any words out, Zen started talking.

"I know enough." Zen said in a low voice, challenging the blond. "I know she called your name in her sleep, I know she cried in her sleep while calling out your name, and because of that I know that [Name] still cares for you!"

"Enough." You mumbled. Both men looked at you immediately as if a child was turning their attention to their mother. "Laxus, I just need some time. I . . . I'm gonna stay here for a while," You took a deep, shaky breath, "and I want you and your traveling gang to go back to Magnolia."

Laxus stared into your eyes, searching for a sign that you were joking around. But your face was dead serious. Hanging his head in defeat, Laxus muttered, "Fine." Slowly, he stood to his feet and trudged to the metal door without saying a word or even looking at your figure. He went inside The Hummingbird, leaving you and Zen alone.

You walked over to the redhead and held out a hand, offering to help him stand up. He smiled, taking your offered hand. "Are you sure this is what you want?" He asked. "Is it alright to let the love of your life walk out of your life?"

"I just can't be in a relationship with him right now."

"A relationship with him? So you're thinking about dating while you're on a break?" Zen raised an eyebrow and bit his bottom lip nervously.

"Maybe." You mumbled. At that moment, you realized that you and Zen were still holding hands. "I probably shouldn't jump straight to conclusions, but . . . you've been nice to me ever since I got here."

"Well, there's a reason for that."

"What reason?"

"I like you." He blurted out. "I don't want to forget about our night together, I want to embrace it. I want to embrace you. B-But you're still in love with that guy so I won't press any further. I just wanted to let you know."

"I don't mind . . taking it slow." You mumbled. When Zen's eyes widened, you continued. "You're not a bad guy, I hope, otherwise I'd have to make sure you never walk or talk again.  But anyway, it'll take some time but we can take things slow. I'm fine with that."

Zen didn't say anything at first, he just started at you with his mouth open. Then he finally came to his senses. "C-Can I . . . kiss you?" He said, still staring as if he was in a trance. You slowly nodded and your breath hitched as Zen's face came closer to yours. His kiss spread warmth throughout your entire body, making you push your body closer to his.

When he pulled his lips away from you, you were disappointed to feel that warmth leave too. "We should probably get back to work." Zen laughed nervously. "Yeah, we should." You nodded.

He took your hand in his, intertwining both of your fingers together as you both walked back inside The Hummingbird.