Chapter 11: Shhh Our Little Secret

__________

The art of being yourself at your best is the art of unfolding your personality into the person you want to be. . . . Be gentle with yourself, learn to love yourself, to forgive yourself, for only as we have the right attitude toward ourselves can we have the right attitude toward others.

~Anonymous

____________

Chapter 11: Shhh Our Little Secret

Blood trickled down the side of my face. I was slowly losing a grip on consciousness.

"Hailey." Christian shook me. I struggled to keep my head up and eyes open. "Hailey don't quit on me. Not now, not here, not ever." He shook me some more. I couldn't move anything or feel anything. I felt paralyzed. "Hailey!!" I could tell he was shouting but he sound so far away.

Christian.

I wanted to say it back but it was as if my voice just ran out of me.

"Hailey!!" He shouted again, sounding even farther, shaking me even harder, trying to get me to respond. Soon after I could no longer feel his hands on me or the warmth they brought. "Hailey don't leave me." He sobbed and his voice faded out as everything when black.

"Hailey the doctor said you could hear me but you couldn't respond." I recognized the voice as Christians. "I'm sorry Hailey. I didn't mean to yell at you that night or crash into that tree. It seems that whenever you're around me you get hurt and I hate that. It should be me lying in that bed not you. Don't deserve this. You don't deserve none of the pain I've cost you." He sounded so hurt so distraught.

"Hailey dear." It was my mother who spoke up. "We all miss you at home. Christian brought over the things he won you at the fair. He said to give this one to you. I'm just gonna put it next to you ok." Her voice stopped. "Wake up soon sweetheart ok."

"Oh my gosh Hailey school has been horrible with out you." Deli came in freaking out. "Rose is all over Christian but he's like all depressed and what not. You need to come back and cheer this boy up." She huffed. "The bright side is I'm dating Brad Folkly." She squealed. "He's so sweet and I may just love him."

"It's me again Hailey." I felt my insides flutter at the sound of his voice. He hasn't been by in a few weeks. I don't know I have no track of time. "The doctors said you should be able to feel." He brushed some hair off my face and I felt his fingers leave a trail of fire against my forehead. "I wouldn't know if you could since they said you haven't moved yet. Sometimes I find my self thinking about what if I hadn't made you drop your ice cream the first day we met. Would things be different? Would you even be in this bed right now? Just what if?"

Courtney came by and read the scarlet letter to me. Sometimes she'd break down and cry. Deli would fill me in ok the latest gossip. My mother would talk to me about how she was supporting Patrick and his wishes but my father wasn't so thrilled.

It's funny because neither of them came to visit me since I've been in here. Mom says they're to busy.

Christian would stop by every once in a while and talk to me about work and some of the good times we've shared. Then he'd just start crying and I'd feel horrible for putting him through this. For putting them all through this. I also heard the doctor say how I've been shifting in my sleep and how it's a sure sign that I should be waking up soon and that I'm not paralyzed.

"Hailey." He stroked my cheek with the back of his hand. "I can't wait to see your big blue eyes again. I never really told you how beautiful they look or why they reminded me of the ocean." He laughed slightly. "I want to be the first person they see when they open again." He ran his hand down down my hand and held my hand.