Chapter 1- Digging Your Grave

Bắt đầu từ đầu

Cracks were appearing in both the walls and the ceiling; the light was just a simple bulb dangling above my head. Despite me being a good candidate for the “perfect” human, they still keep me in such a shitty place?

The Society confused me, but I despised it anyway. They were the reason my mother cried every morning, the reason we all lived in fear. It had been made clear many times that they could wipe us all out at any point, anytime they so wanted to.

That was why they deserved much worse than my hatred.

I stretched, finding myself lying on the bed and shackled to the wall. It’s not like I minded much, a bed was a bed and I could at least move around with the length they gave it. 

Let me catch you up.

It was going on my third week here, and I had yet to see any real scientists in their stark white lab coats. The only human contact I’d had in that time was from the people who brought me my meals.

By now I had basically given in to their power.

Who wouldn’t? It’s not like there was much else to do. Fighting left you either handicapped or dead, and living in denial just made things even worse for you. Accepting puts you one step closer to freedom. 

There wasn’t really much to do here, you just sit in your cell and shut up. I had found out a while ago that if you make too much noise they take you into the room at the end of the hall and never come back.

I had seen a dumpster on that side upon arrival. Something inside knew it wasn’t coincidence. 

As far as the hallway, you could go left or right when leaving your cell and that was it. Right was the end, where people disappeared. Down the right you would find yourself in the labs. In between the two doors were ten cells, where I and now five other people resided.

In three weeks, one had gone to the right and three had gone to the left.

I believed I had figured their system out. Bring in ten defects, and test one each week. If that were how it went, I would be the last one to go because I was closest to the right door at the end of the hall.

In six weeks, if they failed, I’d be dead.

-Three Weeks Later-

There was a commotion at the end of the hall. Another one was struggling against the guards, not ready to go in the labs. I couldn’t blame the poor guy, but fighting would get him nowhere and potentially sealed his death. Without the energy he had before the argument, he probably wouldn’t make it through the tests.

Judging by the amount of time, I still had three weeks. Every day was spent in agonizing boredom, but not once did I ever feel terror. I had become numb, and did nothing but wallowed in memories of my family.

Sometimes the other test subjects tried to talk to me, seeing as I was the only female, but I never answered them. I wasn’t interested in conversation; I didn’t want to make a friend that I would just lose. It seemed pointless, to me.

There was a smack from down the hall and suddenly it sounded quiet, and I figured by now the guards had landed a good punch on the guy and knocked him out like they did with the others, but I was soon to be surprised.

A guy waltzed down the hall, a cocky smirk on his face. I gaped at him as he passed, and he winked at me, heading towards the door on the right.

“You don’t want to go in there, I can assure you,” I said, deciding it was only fair to give him a warning. No one knew what was in there, and I was in no rush to find out.