coincidence?

CHAPTER 7:

COINCIDENCE?

He gets out of the car and walks to Lisbon’s door; he opens it and picks up her hand. When she’s out he hugs her tightly.

“Lisbon, I don’t know what is going on. I’ll wait for you to tell me, but I need you to know I'm here for you, okay? Now, I want you to hold your tears and solve this case with me.”

Lisbon nods and they both walk to the house. She knocks the door. A teenage girl answers.

“Hi, I’m Teresa Lisbon from the CBI (shows her badge) this is my consultant Patrick Jane, we are here for the murder of Hanna Austin, we’ve been told you have here little boy?”

“Boy? No, I think you’re wrong, we only have Charlotte here, she is her daughter... Was...” The teenager answers with a sad face...

“Hi, I expect you’re coming to pick up little Charlotte,” a sweet old voice says, at the same time a middle aged blond, tall, thin women comes down stairs with a little blond girl in her arms.

Lisbon sighs when she hears the name of the little girl; she tries to support Jane by her hand approaching his, until they’re touching. Jane notices this and a little smile can be seen on his face.

“Yes ma’am, your name is?” Lisbon asks at the same time she picks up Charlotte, a maternal instinct seizes her.

“Angela, Angela Sawyer. I was godmother to Hanna,” a little tear looms on the border of her eye.

“Excuse me,” Jane says and goes to the car giving a last touch to Lisbon’s hand.

“Thank you ma’am, we’ll keep in touch,” she says at the same time she goes out of the house to the car with charlotte wrapped in her arms.

Lisbon enters the car, and looks at Jane with an empathic look.

“Jane, this has to be a coincidence.”

“There are no such things as coincidences, but why? Why show me my family again?”

Jane pulls the car out and drives back to the office, social services are waiting at the office to take Charlotte to her aunt. Jane says goodbye to the little girl and goes to Lisbon’s office where she’s normally doing her paperwork.

He enters without minding, and walks from one side to another trying to find an answer somewhere in his head.

“Jane, it has to be a coincidence,” Lisbon tries to calm him down.

“No. No there’s something I’ve been missing, but what?” Jane says with his obsessive voice.

At this point Lisbon holds the vomit in her mouth, runs to the dust bin and throws up. Jane rushes to her and holds her from behind.

“Lisbon, you gotta check this flu.”

When Lisbon hears this, her mind clears up and she collapses into tears. She sits on her couch with her face hiding in her hands.

Jane sits beside her and hugs her.

“Lisbon, it’s time you tell me what is going on… Please,” he begs.

She raises her head up to look directly into the big, blue, crystal eyes.

“Jane, I, I’m, I’m late...”

A mix of shock, anger, happiness and sadness hits Jane’s face.

“You mean, you think, that, that you’re pregnant? Oh no, Teresa, I’m so sorry. I put you in so much danger, Red John knows you’re the closest thing I have to a family and that I'm in love with you. He knows that if you have a baby I will love it as if it was my own child,” he says with tears in his eyes.

“You, you love me?” She says, surprised.

“Lisbon I promised you once, I will always be there to save you whether you like it or not, now I will fulfil my promise. I will protect you and your baby,” he holds her hands.

“Jane, (a smile appears on her face) I think your forgetting something... It’s your baby Jane, our baby. My last time was with you,” she shyly says.

Jane’s eyes get full of tears of happiness but then the worry comes to his head, he can’t lose his family again.

“We are going to make it through this Teresa. I promise I will keep both of you safe,” he kisses Lisbon’s stomach and then kisses Lisbon. She returns the kiss not minding if someone is watching, she doesn’t know how much time she has with Jane. She only knows she will never forgive herself if he loses his family again. Whatever happens, she will protect the little creature inside of her.