lights off

CHAPTER 4:

*JANE POV*

He wakes up because of strange noises coming from Lisbon’s bedroom. He stands up and walks towards it. He sees Lisbon fighting against herself, crying and sweating. She says some words which Jane tries not to put attention to.
“Ja-Jane! No!! Please, don’t leave me!”
These words hit Jane’s heart; he never thought Lisbon really liked him, or not so much to have nightmares about him.
He stays standing in front of the bed not knowing what to do. Last night Lisbon was vulnerable and he knew she would probably forget about everything in the morning. But now was different. Lisbon is completely aware of everything. But she is his best friend and he needs to do something about it.
He sits beside her in the bed and tries to wake her up.
“Lisbon, Lisbon, come on wake up. It’s ok, I'm here. Wake up,” he whispers.
Lisbon slowly starts opening her green eyes; they were full of tears. Jane had never seen her this way; it kills him from the inside.

When Lisbon sees him she smiles and tries to hide her tears. Jane turns on the light and hugs her.
“It’s okay Jane, I’m okay,” she says, pushing him away.
“No you’re not. This is why you’ve been so tired, you’re not sleeping well. You’re having nightmares... Can you talk about it?”
Jane cleans up her tears softly while Lisbon tries to explain herself.
“I, I’m in an alley... Running... When I arrive at the end I see your hair and your body covered with blood. I try to help you but I can’t go forward, and- and you die Jane! You die and I can’t do anything to save you!” These last words make Lisbon collapse into tears. She hides her face beneath her hands; Jane wants to support her so bad so he hugs her.
“Lisbon I want you to know, that I will never leave you alone. The day when I die will be the day when you die, are you clear? I promise.”
Lisbon raises her head and Jane irrationally kisses her. Lisbon pulls herself away for some seconds to smile at Jane and then she returns the kiss.
Jane pulls her closer and tightens her to his body. He promised himself that he will never let her go away from him... Lisbon starts pulling off his t-shirt, she really wants this? Jane’s heart was beating rapidly and fiercely; he hadn’t felt this way since the last time he was with his wife. This feeling makes him smile. He didn’t have time to think when he realised he was taking off Lisbon’s pyjamas. It was done. His brain wasn’t leading his actions,  it was his heart. He hugs Lisbon and rolls her to the other side of the bed so he could turn the lights off, and there they stay. Against each other’s bodies and in each other’s love.