Chapter Sixteen

Kelly had the pleasure of meeting with Danny’s sister, Janice, the following evening again.

His sister’s arrival had certainly seem to brighten Danny up, and Kelly soon discovered that Janice also had Danny’s amiable nature, which made her easy to talk to.

They even had a chance for a small private chat, when they had to wait outside in the corridor, while the nurses drew the curtains around Danny, so they to attend his leg.

“It good you were able to come over to be with him,” Kelly said, “I think seeing you has lifted his spirits again, I think hearing you talking about back home and everything, is also helping him to want to recover quicker now, so he can be on his feet again and join you, and the rest of his family and friends”

“I am just happy that he is going to be alright,” Janice replied, “Since he has been stationed here, this was what I was scared of happening, or even worse, that he would be coming back in a coffin,” she admitted a little shakily, “To be honest I am glad when he told me he had decided to leave the army, and was coming home”

“Yeah, I think can understand that,” Kelly nodded

“I hate leaving him again, but I have to go back for tomorrow morning, as I have to get back to work,” Janice then explained, “But I am glad I came now, just to put my mind at rest, and at least I know in a couple of weeks he will be home for good”

“True, it won’t be long until you will have him back with you again,” Kelly forced herself to smile cheerfully, knowing Janice’s gain was going to be her loss. But she didn’t want to dwell on that now, she was just happy that Danny was going to get better.

“I am so glad I got the chance to meet you too,” Janice told her, “It makes it easier for me, going back, and knowing that Danny has someone here who cares about him, apart from his army mates that is. I have to say Danny seems very fond of you as well, in fact I have never known him to talk so much a about a girl before.” Janice then revealed

“Oh, it’s probably just because he hasn’t really anything, or anyone else to talk about,” Kelly laughed, deciding to make light of it.

“Actually, I think it might be just a bit more than that, so don‘t underestimate the affect you have on him,“ Janice advised, with a small speculative smile.

Kelly wasn’t sure what she should make of this, or how she should say.

But she was saved from making any reply, as the conversation was brought to a halt as the door opened and one of the nurses popped her head around, to tell them they could come in again and see him, because they were finished.

****************************************

Janice was a little tearful when she had to say goodbye to Danny, before returning to England the following day.

But he reassured her he would keep in touch by phone, to let her know how he was progressing, and when he would be fit to finally leave and be able to come home.

So the next few weeks, he focused all his attention on getting back on his feet again.

Kelly came to visit him every day, and was pleased he was making good progress. Though there were still days he felt down or in pain. But she would chat with him cheerfully, telling him funny incidents that might have happened in work, or about Billy and Chrissie’s latest argument, which had them falling out and making up again in the same day, managing to make him smile again

“I don’t know what I would do if I didn’t have you around,” he confessed quietly one day when she was sitting with him, “I think I would go crazy in here”