part 28 - embarrassment

"Now what have you done again, Jade just called me screaming and yelling," Jesy Nelson ranted at Leigh-Anne Pinnock through the phone. Leigh-Anne cringed and held the device away from her ear. "I think she needs help. Like a counselor or a therapist or something, she's changed."

"Losing her temper once or twice doesn't mean she's changed," Leigh-Anne argued, "I accidentally told her that I knew about her little crush on Perrie. I mean, who doesn't have a crush on Perrie, that girl's gorgeous, but then again, so's Jade."

Jesy exhaled through the phone. "I'm going to kill you. I'm coming over."

Leigh blanched and almost dropped her phone. Jesy probably wasn't joking, so the dark haired girl immediately turned her closet inside out in her desperate search for a bat or a golf club.

But, the doorbell rang before Leigh could find a suitable defense weapon. Heart pounding in her chest, Leigh opened the door and whined in protest as Jesy glided into her house, dragging Leigh-Anne behind her. "It's not that big of a deal," the black-haired girl said, "what if she knows I know? I won't tell Perrie if she doesn't want me to."

"That's the point, Jade's afraid that you'll accidentally say it to Perrie, like you said it to her," Jesy sighed. "God, look at this mess I've got myself into."

"I'm sorry," Leigh said meekly and sat as far away from Jesy as possible on the couch. "I just p-panicked. She didn't seem that happy with the band anymore. Do you think she'll leave?"

That seemed so possible all of a sudden, even when both of the girls hadn't even considered that a possibility. Jesy turned pale. "Do you think that's what she'll do? Has she changed that much?"

Leigh shrugged. "Just two months ago she was all bright and funny and now she has anger management issues - you've seen how she yelled at Perrie last week. Jade seems so sad."

"You should talk to her," Jesy said finally.

"I tried," Leigh sighed, "I tried."

"Do it again." Jesy grabbed the nearest phone, dialed Jade's number, and shoved it at Leigh-Anne would had no choice but to take it.

The phone rang once. Twice. Three times. Leigh was half-hoping that Jade didn't pick up, but with her luck, she suddenly heard her bandmate on the other end. "Hullo?"

Leigh was tempted to hang up, but she took a deep breath and spoke into the phone rapidly. "Hi Jade, I just wanted to say that I'm really really sorry for what I said to you and it wasn't Jesy's fault really, I mean we all have a right to know what's going on within the band and we're sisters, we can't keep secrets from each other, I promise I won't tell-"

"I don't have time for this right now Leigh, I'm at dinner," Jade said coldly, and hung up, leaving Leigh staring at the blank screen of the phone incredulously.

....

Jade downed another shot and tried to focus on whatever Danielle was saying; however, she didn't really care. Her eyes drifted restlessly around the restaurant, settling on a waiter that was staring right back at her. He shot her a smile, and Jade smiled back - why not? She was feeling so alone and small, and even a little distraction would help.

Plus, the waiter was good-looking as well, with that combed back dark hair, easy smile and gleaming blue eyes. Gleaming blue eyes, like Perrie's.

"Jadey, would you like to go home," Danielle said, turning around to stare at Jade concernedly. Jade just plastered a smile on her face and shook her head.

"It's okay, I'll just wait." She swirled the wine in her glass, staring at the dark red liquid as Danielle turned back to her friend.

"Would you like anything," a voice said, and Jade turned. It was the waiter that had been smiling at her.