003

"Simon, I think Jace can help us." Clary says making Simon look at Clary in disbelief. His best friend who he loves chose a guy she met today instead of him. Axel almost laughed seeing the look of betrayal and horror on Simon's face. It was truly funny.

Simon looked at Axel for back-up but he only shrugged in response. Simon sighed and turned to Clary.

"How do we know this Mick Jagger-looking guy-" Simon argues but gets cut off by Clary who says, "Come on, Simon. Let's go."

Axel heads inside while the others follow him. He thought that it was going to be more interesting and more heartbreaking but it was just boring. He blocked out the conversation and waited for Jace to do his thing so Simon could see the Institute.

The institute appears for Simon. Axel just walks away while Simon looks around in fascination.

"Where are we?" Simon stammers. "What the hell? Clary, is there a war going on that I don't know about?"

"There is now. I think my mother's at the center of it." Clary answers with a frown. She missed her mom and regretted not talking to her before.

"Actually, the mortal cup is in the center of it and your mother stole it so...." Axel trails off seeing the hurt on Clary's face.

"You coming?" Jace grumbles in annoyance of the noisy mundane.

"What is this place? There's a lot of gear in here. What'd they do, rob a tech shop? So this cold-blooded killer is gonna help us?" Simon asks Clary.

Axel wrapped his arm around Simon's shoulder and whispered, "I probably killed more people than the number of time you jerked off while thinking of Clary." Simon turns red and Axel laughs loudly making Jace smile while Clary looks at him confused.

"He's not a killer. He's protecting us." Clary answers Simon. Axel scoffs and mutters, "Specifically, you."

"It's sort of our thing."

"Your thing? You guys have a thing?" Simon says thinking the wrong thing.

"He means a Shadowhunter thing." Clary reassures him making Simon sigh in relief.

"That's what they do, protecting humans from demons." Axel informs him looking around to see if the hot archer was there.

"Demons, right. That makes perfect sense, 'cause there are demons running all around New York." Simon scoffs lightly not believing anything they were saying.

"That is the first correct thing you've said all day."

"Won't they find us?" Clary asks. Jace answers her with a no.

"Our wards will deter them." He continues. "And the NYPD will do their typical mundie thing for a few hours and then the area will be clear."

"What is going on? Why is there a mundane in the Institute?" The raven haired boy (who Axel missed) questioned. Axel moved next to Alec. Alec, unnoticeably, shuffled a bit closer to the boy.

"A Circle member followed him to get to Clary."

"A Circle rune, just like the guys that took my mother."