Chapter Seventeen (Kyle)

Once I'm back home in New Orleans and back to the Academy, I go straight to my room. I toss my bag on the ground and collapse onto the bed. I'm still woozy from the night before. Before I can shut my eyes, Zoe storms into the room.

"Long time no see," Her face is covered in tears and her tone indicates that she's pissed.

"Um, hey," I sit up, not really sure what to say.

"I know."

"What?"

"I know what you've been doing out in Los Angeles," How did she find out?

"What are you talking about?" I've got to play dumb.

"You've been screwing that guy, Tate," I'm silent, I don't want to say the wrong thing. She gets close to my face, "If you ever speak to him again, I will tell everyone that you're a goddamn fag," an evil smile spreads across her face, "And I know that you don't want anyone to know that," she walks out of the room and slams the door behind her.

I start trembling. Am I really ashamed of myself? For how I feel? I just won't admit it to myself. I feel all the life drain out of me. I silently shun myself for what I'm going to do next.

. . .

"Kyle no, you can't do that to him," Kit says through the phone.

"Yes I can, Kit, I have to," I pace my room, scratching the back of my head.

"It'll crush him."

"Look, you can't tell him why I'm not talking to him. In fact, don't mention me to him ever."

"You're a coward, Kyle Spencer, a goddamn coward," Kit hangs up the phone. I press my hands to my eyes and cry.

"I'm sorry," I whisper to  myself, "I'm so sorry, Tate."