Chapter Four (Tate)

I stand at Kyle's bedside waiting for him to wake up. I can hear the blaring music from downstairs but I focus in on him. I was coming towards Kyle and Kit when that kid gave Kyle some really strong alcohol. I actually have no idea what it was, but he wasn't acting himself. He danced, he drank, he danced some more, and he drank a lot more. Eventually, he passed out so Kit and I brought him upstairs to this room.

Without thinking, I grab hold of his hand. Please, Kyle, I squeeze my eyes shut, please wake up. I look out the window, it's almost sunrise. 

"Shit," I whisper to myself. I don't have much more time left. There's so much I want to say to him, but he probably won't wake up before the sun is up. I won't be able to see him until next Halloween, the one goddamn night I can roam free. The door to the bedroom slowly creeks open and in walks Kit.

"Hey," he manages to say while holding two cups in his each hand and a third in his mouth. He sets the two cups on the nightstand and takes a sip of the other one. I grab one and look inside, water. I chug the whole cup. I'm still holding Kyle's hand though. Kit seems to notice this too because he is looking back and forth between our clasped hands and me. I release and look out the window again. Kit looks out as well.

"I guess I should be saying my goodbyes for the year," Kit chuckles. I pull him into a hug. Not a bro hug, a real one.

"You know," I say into his ear, "you can always come visit the house," he pulls away and looks at me hard.

"Now, Tate," he giggles, "do you really think that's a good idea with all of those ghosts running around trying to kill everything in sight?" I sigh.

"Yeah, you're right. It's just," I glance down at Kyle on the bed, "I want to be able to see him again. And not next Halloween, I want to be able to see him everyday," I stare down at my shoe laces. 

"That's his decision if he wants to come and see you," he glances at Kyle,"and from the looks of tonight, I'm sure he will," as soon as Kit says it, Kyle's eyes flutter open, but he still doesn't move. His eyes look tired, but he's awake. I look out the window, the sun is coming up.

"Tate?" Kyle struggles to say.

"Kyle," I lean over him and whisper in his hear, "I have to leave," then I was gone.