Chapter Seven (Tate)

"So, how did it go," Violet nudges me in the ribs playfully.

"Okay," That's bullshit, "No, it went great," she raises an eyebrow at me.

"Details, Tate, details."

"Uh, I meant someone," Her eyes grow bigger, "His names Kyle," she cups her hands over her mouth to try and cover her smile, "but I never got to tell him how I felt," she removes her hands from her lips and her smile dies down to a frown.

"This goddamn house," she touches my arm, "do you think he'll come to see you?"

"I have no idea, Vi," right as I say it we hear shuffling coming from downstairs so we go to check it out. Everyone is gathered at the front door looking out at the gate. Everyone as in Ben, Vivian, Moira, the twins, Nora, Charles, Hayden, everyone.

"Shit," Hayden mumbles, "no one has been here in forever."

"I sure hope they're not here to look into the house," Moira whispers. 

"No," I push past everyone to the front of the huddle, "I've got this," I strut down the stairs and walk towards the gate where a boy stands staring at the house. I make myself visible and touch his arm.

"Oh, Tate," Kyle says startled,"I didn't see you there."

                                                                                             . . .

We lay on our backs in the grass staring up at the sky, almost shoulder to shoulder.

"So, tell me about you, Tate. I just realized I barely know anything about you," Kyle urges. He can't find out about any of the things I did.

"Well, I'm bi," Wow, that just slipped out. Kyle doesn't mind though, he laughs.

"I know, Tate," I look at him as he bites his lip.

"What are you, Kyle?" He sucks in a big breath. 

"Well, I have a girlfriend, but I think I'm falling for someone else..." he trials off but then picks up on a new conversation, "Any love interests?"

"There were two," I turn my head and glance up at the doorway and see everyone still cluttered up. I search for Violet and I find her. She nods her head, "I fell in love with a girl just like me and we were going to be together forever but..." I don't finish my sentence.

"And the second one?"

"I fell in love with him as well and he loved me," I don't know that for sure, "well, I'm not sure if he loved me actually," Kyle turns his head and gives me a sad stare. No, don't pity me

"Tate," Kyle props himself up on his elbow and looks down at me, "why did you leave?" 

"I had no choice," It's the truth. He jumps to his feet.

"Why won't anyone tell me what's really going on?" he howls. I rise to my feet. 

"Why are you really here, Kyle?"

"To do this," Anger spreads across his face and before I can think he punches me in the jaw and I fall to the ground, "That's for leaving me, asshole," I'm not going to punch him back. I rise back to my feet and hold my jaw.

"Go home, Kyle," I turn and begin walking towards the house.

"Wait," I can hear him jogging after me, "there's something else I came here to do," I didn't even have a split second to think about his comment before he grabbed my shoulders and pinned me against the wall. He presses his lips to mine and it sends my head to the wall. But I ignore the pain because the only thing that matters in this moment is Kyle. 

"So," I take a deep breath, "what was that for?"

"Because I like you, asshole."