12

Irene pov.

It felt like my heart stopped beating for a moment. "W-What? You are speaking nonsense", I said trying to laugh off the situation. But he faced me and took my hands in his. "I am serious", he said and caressed the knuckles of my hand.

We looked at each other for a while without saying anything. I couldn't tell if he was serious or just playing around. Finally, I let go of his hands and looked away. "I-I can't do this. Sorry."

"Why?", he asked and cupped my cheek so I was looking at him again. "Why can't you? You could at least give it a try?"

"Taehyung", I sighed. "I don't know how I should feel about this. You and I, we have completely different aims in life and besides that our live styles, they are way too different. We'd only fight and hurt each other."

"How are you so sure about that? You don't even know how I live my life. You only assume things of what you've heard about me. Just let's try it. Maybe it can be the best thing that happened. We can only know each other and get closer if we date. And even if not, we will remain as friends."

I shook my head slowly. "Are you playing right now? Is this some kind of joke? Why would a boy like you even look at a girl like me? Is this a prank you are pulling on me to show how pathetic I am?"

Tears started to form in my eyes. I felt so insecure right now. I really wanted to hug him but then again I remembered what Joy had told me once. That he is only playing with girls as if they are his toys. And once he gets what he wants, he throws them away.

I sniffed and tried to blink away the tears which made my vision blurry. "Can we please stop this. I want to go home now. I want -" I couldn't say anything else. Taehyung had pressed his lips onto mine already. I widened my eyes in shock and my heart was beating as if I was running a marathon.

Taehyung slowly let go and looked at me, lightly smiling. My whole body got numb. I wanted to get up but my legs felt like pudding. "Irene", he said with a husky voice. "My heart is beating like crazy and my legs won't work. I know you feel it too. So stop pushing me away and give us a try. I promise I won't hurt you. I won't let anyone hurt you. Be my girlfriend", he cupped my face and leaned his forehead against mine.

I closed my eyes. "Can I trust you? One hundred percent?" I whispered. He nodded slowly.

"Trust me", he said before leaning in to connect our lips again. This time it didn't take me long to kiss him back. His lips were warm and soft. A rush flowed through my body when he burrowed his hands in my hair to deepen the kiss. I didn't notice the wheel started moving again, my head and heart were in such a rush.

"Uhm, guys are you done yet?" I pushed Taehyung away as I heard the voice. He only laughed. "It's been a while since the wheel stopped but you kept sucking each other's faces so I thought I could intervene. Sorry if I interrupted you", the guy working on the wheel said and started laughing.

Taehyung linked his hand with mine and we stepped off the wagon."So you are my girlfriend now?", he asked teasingly and made me blush as I tried to hide my face with my hair.

Taehyung pov.

Irene was silent the whole ride home. I looked at her and she seemed off. Her head was leaned back on the seat and her view focused on the blurry trees and street we passed by. On moments like these, I really wish to be a magician so I could read her mind. I stopped the car at our usual spot.

"Irene? Don't you feel good?", I asked, worried that she closed her eyes a while ago. Finally looking at me, she nodded and smiled weakly. "Yes, thank you really. I am just so happy right now", she said and lowered her head again. I turned in my seat and grabbed her hand. "Irene, let's promise something to each other", I said and she looked at me, curiosity filling her eyes as she nodded.

"No matter what people say, no matter what rumors we hear. Let's not believe them without asking the other one, okay? You know a lot of people will start talking behind our backs because once we are official, they will have bad things to say about you.

Especially Joy and her friends. But please, don't believe anything and ask me first if you hear something. I promise - no I swear that I will always be honest with you and always tell you the truth. I don't want this relationship to be based on lies. And if we want this to work, we have to trust each other and that's only possible with honesty right?"

She nodded and forced a smile obviously unsure and insecure. I pecked her lips, quick but soft, and she blushed. "Don't worry about anything. I will protect you. I promise."