Chapter 21

THE NEXT DAY
Emma was in the training room very early in the morning. She had on gray sweatpants, sneakers, black tank top, and her hair pulled into a neat ponytail. She was punching the new punching bag. Her hands wrapped up when someone walked in. Her back was to them and didn't hear so when his hands grabbed her shoulders she jumped.

Immediately turning around and facing Turner. "Hey, what are you doing in here? You're never here"

"Everyone's still asleep and I knew you weren't so I came in" he responded. "That okay?"

"Yeah of course" she said as Turner walked to the other side giving her a nod. She held the punching bag as he started to punch. "Why you up so early?"

"I heard you"

"Oh, sorry. Didn't think I was that loud"

"Well, I heard the arrows hitting the wall and the punching and kicking of the bag with a few occasional screams. So the real question is: are you okay?"

"I don't know. I came back from the dead, we're about to go to war over who gets me, and just...a lot of stuff is happening right now" she responded. "My turn" she said as Turner held the bag and she started kicking it.

"If you're okay with the subject, what was it like...you know...dying?" He asked.

"I saw Hooks face then everything went bright and then it was all black. It felt like everything in me was being sucked out. The burial, I guess, was cold and, even though I was dead, it felt like something" she stopped kicking. "Was holding me under. I soon woke up with Blackbeard facing me and I was kept prisoner with very little food and water. Occasional ways of torture to get the location of you all but that's it. Then you guys came soon after"

"Did you say torture?!" He softly shouted.

"Yeah, my back looks awful"

"Can I uhh..."

She turned around lifting her shirt up in the back a little. The bright red slashes all over her back soon to be turned into scars. She brought her shirt down turning back around to face him. "Promise not to tell anyone? You can see some of it in this shirt at the top but I only wear this when I'm alone"

"I won't tell a soul. But you should tell someone other than Elizabeth and I"

She knew he meant Hook. "I don't know. It's...uh...weird, I guess is a word, between us"

"Between who?" Sure enough there was Hook standing in the doorway.

Emma quickly put her jacket on. "No one"

"I'll leave you two alone" Turner said walking out.

Once he left Hook walked in a little more. "What are you hiding?"

"Nothing, just cold"

"You're a terrible liar"

"Am not!" She retorted.

"Aye, Swan, you are. Now let me see" he walked behind her and took her jacket off as she stayed still. He instantly saw the bright red marks above her shirt. "What the hell is that?" He said softly touching it but when Emma winced and stood up straighter he took his hand off.

"Like I said, it's nothing" she said turning to face him. She took her jacket back and put it on.

"That's not nothing. That looks like marks from a whip. Did Blackbeard do that?!" He asked raising his voice.

"If I answer you, will you shut up?" He nodded after her question. "Yes, he did. He wanted your location but a day later you came. That's why it's still fresh and hurts. Just let it go. I did"

"You expect me to let this go?" He said grabbing her wrist. "I hate seeing you hurt. You should know that. I felt empty when you died. Relieved when I saw you again but angry that it was Blackbeard who got to you first. I want to be the one you can tell anything to. The one who protects you. I couldn't risk you dying again! That's why I don't want you fighting. But Emma Swan being Emma Swan will. Just don't get hurt. I couldn't live with myself"

"Everyone is after you. They know what I mean to you so when they want you they take me. It's something I've gotten used to. I can still be hurt but it just feels like a very strong slap. I've gotten use to every single kind of pain. I'm fine"

"I hope you're right. The fight is tomorrow"

"I'll be ready"

He let go of her wrist. "Then let's get you ready"

~~
A/N: Super Bowl Sunday! GO BRONCOS!