chapter two

[ trigger warning : self-harm. ]

harry was overwhelmed.

he was seated at his usual seat for english. the teacher was mindlessly rambling about a project that was soon to be due, but harry couldn't be bothered with the instructions and rules.

his skin felt hot. his baby blue jumper was making his skin itch and burn and it felt uncomfortable. his sweatpants were clinging to his legs like glue and it made him squirm.

his breaths were shallow. it was beginning to become a challenge to take in a breath and keep them steady. his lungs felt like they were do remind and water and he could barely even swallow. he felt dizzy from the amount of effort he was putting into a task that should be effortless.

his heart felt too heavy. it was beating rapidly against his own chest that made him wince. he felt as though each thump was causing bruises to form on his skin. it felt unusual and he wanted to cry.

he let a small whimper escape his lips before he let his head fall into the desk. he tried blocking the whispers and laughs that were coming from their students.

the boy next to him nudge him. "aye, mate. you alright?" he whispered.

harry looked up. tears were already forming in his eyes and the boy next to him gasped slightly, before getting out of his chair and going over to harry's side. he grabbed harry's large, sweaty hands into his own small ones.

"ms. pollette, may i take harry to the nurse? the little lad doesn't look so well." the boy asked.

"sure, louis. be back soon." she smiled slightly, "and feel better, harry."

harry winced when louis stood him up by gripping his hips and guiding his arm so that he was hanging onto louis' side. louis led them out of the classroom and into the hallway.

"wait, wait, wait." harry suddenly realized that he didn't know this kid. he wasn't a familiar face that harry could pin-point. "no, no, not you. niall, niall, where's niall?"

"it's okay." the smaller boy said softly, gently rubbing harry's lower back. "i won't hurt you."

harry pulled away from louis completely and scooted back until he hit the wall. he started trembling and murmuring soft words, trying to calm himself.

"hurt, h-hurt. m-mean man hurt me." harry shut his eyes and clenched his hands into tight fists. he started shaking his head aggressively, "no, no, no. please, please, no."

louis got down on his knees. he slowly scooted to where harry was. he wrapped his arms around the trembling boy and started to stroke his hair.

"it's okay. you're okay, you're okay."

louis stayed with the trembling boy out in the hall until the bell rang.

---

"harry! where have you been this whole time? you had me worried sick!" niall frowned and brought harry into a tight hug.

harry was seated in the nurses room. louis was sitting on the chair across from him as niall scolded the young boy.

"too much. it was too much, niall." harry whimpered softly. niall only nodded and patted his back softly.

he turned to the boy who was seated quietly in the corner. "hi, my names niall. i am harry's friend."

he smiled, "nice to meet you, lad. my names louis. i sit next to harry in english." he explained. "he was looking to well, so i brought him here after i tried to calm him down."