Chapter 7

Chapter 7

After I had an early dinner, I laid on my bed falling in and out of sleep for a while. My body wasn't tired but my mind sure as hell was. So many thoughts crowded my brain and all of them were problems. With no solutions. My phone let me know I had a little more than fifteen minutes before training started.

I groaned and rolled out of my bed so I could change and head down to the gym. After throwing on a pair of leggings, black converses, and a navy blue tank top, I grabbed my phone and headed downstairs. Putting my hair up into a high ponytail, I stepped into the gym. Many of Papá's workers were in there training already.

These men and women were ruthless. I hadn't even seen the women of the mafia around here before. But one thing is for certain: I would hate to see their bad side.

I spotted Matteo in a corner talking to his father so I walked over to them. Matteo smirked when he saw me. His father turned his attention me and smiled warmly while pulling me into a hug.

"Adelaide, it's been too long." he gushed.

I grinned. "That it has, Uncle Savani. How have you been?"

"Cannot complain, I suppose. However, Matteo here has been a handful."

Matteo scoffed and gave his father a playful shove. "I have not."

My uncle faced me again. "I hear you are going to be sparring with Evelina. I'm interested to see how this event turns out. I'm sure all these people here are too."

I shrugged. My heart was racing a bit. Papá never mentioned that there would be an audience.

Matteo smirked knowingly. "Just so you know I'm betting on you. A lot. Don't make me lose any money, cousin."

His father swatted him lightly behind the head as I rolled my eyes.

The room suddenly quieted as everyone's attention drifted towards the door. There stood my father and sister walking towards the middle of the room. My heart was threatening to beat right out of my chest. I took a deep breath.

"Adelaide." my father beckoned as he and Eva stood in the center of the room.

Matteo gave a me wink and a thumbs up as I made my way toward my father. He smiled at me as I stood on his other side.

Eva said nothing.

"Good evening everyone." he greeted the room in clear Italian. The room replied and I couldn't help but notice that power illuminated off my father as he spoke. He smiled before continuing.

"Tonight my two daughters, Evelina and Adelaide, are going to begin training for the future spot as leader of this family. Of course, I can only grant this title to one person, should something happen to me in the future. Each day is not a promise, but a gift as is everyone in this family." he paused as his words sunk into everyone.

"What happens tonight is not a guarantee to who I pick in the end. It is simply a night of observation. There will be days in the future where each action becomes critical to my decision. But until then this is more of a trial. Both of my girls, of course, are each perfect for the position."

I held myself back from laughing and rolling my eyes. I knew he was saying that for Eva's benefit more than mine.

"However, one of them must prove to me that I could ensure my family would continue to thrive in their hands and not fall apart at the seams after this family has worked so hard to be where we are today. Now, without any further delay, let us begin."

When Papá finished no one cheered as I expected after his speech. I looked around the room and saw everyone had their eyes on one of two people: me or Eva. Papá moved so he could face my sister and I. He looked from one to the other.