Chapter 20

Vote, comment, and/or follow for a dedication

not edited

Chapter 20

I stormed into my father's office the instant we arrived back home. He was at his desk talking on the phone and looked up in surprise at my aggressive entrance. Whoever he was speaking to was instantly forgotten as he took in my expression.

I was seething. Even Jonathan couldn't talk me out of confronting my father. The last entry in my mother's journal almost brought me to tears. And I was never one to cry. At least I had the good sense to give Jonathan the journal before coming here.

Papá turned his attention to me after he hung up. "Any reason you just burst into my office in such a manner?" He asked me.

I took a deep breath before sitting down in front of him. He watched my every movement. Not that I blamed him. At this moment I must've seemed like a wild animal set to pounce at any unpredictable second.

"I want to know the history between you, my mother, Anne, and Alina. From the moment you met each other to the present." I spoke calm though firm.

Papá sat back and watched me. "I suppose you assume I'm under your orders and will answer whatever questions you throw my way. Then again you might seem worthy considering you've ended the robberies that's been occurring like you said you would."

"This is not a joke or a game, Giovanni. Some questions have been surfacing that make me doubt my trust in you." I said bluntly. No point beating around the bush if I wanted answers.

"We are on a first name basis, you and I?" Asked my father.

"At the moment, I don't think you could be considered my father with all the accusations against you." I replied darkly.

He was silent for awhile. "Is this about the death of your mother?" He almost sounded sad.

Almost.

I shrugged. "That has it's role played in this, yes."

He sighed as if frustrated. "Why can't you just believe me when I say that I didn't kill Belle, Adelaide?"

"How did she die?" I countered.

He ran his hand through his salt and pepper hair. I've never seen him so flustered and not in control. There were small shadows under his eyes as well. I wondered what was going on. He's never looked so tired.

"I told you she was sick." He said not meeting my eye.

"Sick with what?" I demanded.

"Just sick, Adelaide. Leave it be. She's gone and -"

I stood up and slammed my hand down on the desk losing my self control. Rage spilled from me visibly shocking my father. "Stop brushing off the damn subject! Sick with what?" I shouted.

There was a sudden knock at the door. Papá told them to go away until he was ready to see them. Then he gathered himself and fixed a glare on me which I gladly returned.

"It would be wise to never raise your voice at me again, Adelaide. Don't forget that I still run this family and won't hesitate to put you back in your place should you lose your way. Now I've given you an answer and I advise that you take it and go and train off whatever anger you have in you. Maybe think about the word of a stranger compared to the word of your family." He threatened coolly.

I was taken aback about by the idea of my father even laying a finger on me to enforce punishment. I stood straight and looked him the eye. Every bit of the monster Alina called him.