Chapter 11: Running

We make a break for it and run out the door as soon as  we observe and deem the coast as clear. We run as fast as we can to the closest wall in our view. We tuck ourselves behind it. We exhale feeling as it we have already accomplished what we needed to do to start. We've made a good start. We look at each other and inhale before we run to the next wall. We let out a sigh of relief when we see another clear hallway. "Poe, I'm going to say this quickly. If I get caught and you don't, keep running."

"Same to you. If I get captured, keep going."

"Let's go." I remind myself and Poe. The next wall is really far away from us. This is going to be a bit harder than the other runs to walls. A thought comes into my mind before we run. "Poe wait. How are we going to get off of the base?"

"I'll just do what I did last time. Steal a tie fighter."

I shrug. I don't have a better idea and Poe doesn't have another one. We make a run for it. The wall we aim for is very far away. I hear footsteps as we run. "Poe!" I yell. He stops in the middle of the hall.

"Keep going, Dayae. You have a blaster. Use it." I look at him one last time. I then run behind the wall as I hear the first blast come from a blaster. I don't know whose it is, but I do know that Poe will be taken back to where he was before. The guilt of that burns and pains me although it has not happened yet. The blasts stop. I know Poe's been taken captive, again. I keep running though. I'll ask the general to send a mission for him. Or at least me and a few others. I can't focus on that right now. I peer through the window that I am avidly avoiding. There are x-wing fighters. How am I going to get to one of those? I guess I'll just figure it out as I go along. That's what I've been doing this entire time anyway. I go towards the platform. There is a hallway entrance that I can see just down the hall from me. I can see it, but I cannot grasp the concept of getting there just yet. "Okay. Okay. I can do this. For Poe. For Poe." I whisper to myself to prepare for the massive undertaking that I am about to do. I run faster than I have this entire time. I run through the doorway and hide myself behind yet another wall. This time, however, I put my hand on my blaster. The stormtrooper count is low. There are only about 15 on this platform. That's the least I've seen in one area in a while. I take a deep breath and exhale it out pulling my blaster out of my waist band and get ready to fire a shot as soon as I get out from behind this wall. I start running, blaster in hand. One stormtrooper notices me and fires at me. I avoid it and shoot back. I hit him right in the chest and he falls to the ground. I shoot at the others who do the same at me. I climb inside the first x-wing I see as fast as I can. There is no backup coming with stronger weaponry anytime before I can get this thing up in the air. I think to myself, "This is just like the one you flew earlier. I start it the same way I did before. And get it up in the air the same way too. The stormtroopers stop shooting as soon as I get outside of the platform. That both worries and calms me. I just need to get the hell out of this system and back to the Illenium system. Back to our base.

I pilot the fighter the same way as before. I just remember what Poe told me about how to drive it. I hope he's okay. Part of me doubts it, though. I get into the planet's atmosphere and I can immediately see huge cannon blasts being fired at me. I dodge them. All of them. I don't know how, but I do. I fly into some trees so I can stay out of sight. Remotely out of sight. Once I think I'm far away enough, I exit the base and I'm on my way back to the base where in supposed to be. The Resistance base.