Chapter 3: Risking it All

It's not unusual to say final goodbyes every time someone leaves the base. Every time that Poe or Knoll leaves the base at all. Whether they are going into battle or just checking out some kind of suspicious activity or they are meeting with and ally of the General's, I always say goodbye like I'm never going to see them again.

Kylo Ren hasn't gotten his hands on a resistance fighter since this girl Rey got captured for her second time. We connected recently because or stories were pretty similar. At least she had some kind of contact with people. She didn't have anyone fall in love with her and then have to leave. I haven't seen Ren's mask in the 5 years I've been here. What I wouldn't give to shoot his mask off and get the blast straight into his head. I have the same anger issues as I did before.

We get a call from Knoll. "General," he yells. "The tie fighters aren't going to Tatooine. They're going to Dukii Nu."

"Apologies, General." I say quickly.

"It's fine, Dayae. They must have changed their system. At least it is in the same system of planets." She breathes out. "At least they didn't change it too drastically."

Poe calls in. "General, their fleet is smaller than ours. This must be a scouting fleet. Is the mission still a go?"

"Yes, Poe. Do what you must to rid of them, but don't throw away lives. If they become any larger then pull out. Don't waste any lives on a scout fleet."

"Alright, General." Since my job is done, I usually stand with the General and listen for the calls that come in. If there is any information that I can get for them within my job description, I do it. There are most definitely days where we are battling the First Order and hardly any calls come through. I get worried when there aren't very many coming in. It makes me think that the ones that usually call that aren't have been killed. I'm resistance has been getting pretty weak lately, but the worst part about that is that the First Order has been getting progressively stronger. They have so much advantage over us. I mean, they did 5 years ago too, but the playing field has just gotten more and more uneven. Kylo Ren has only become more powerful with the force. What I wouldn't give to squash his head. Anger issues talking.

"General! General!" Knoll yells in.

"What is it, Knoll?"

"They've trapped us in! They've  sent a second fleet in to form an airborne blockade. We can't get out."

"Don't panic, Knoll. We'll figure something out." She turns to everyone in the room. "Does anyone here know how to fly a fighter at all?"

"I sort of can." I reply. A few others chime in and volunteer to fly.

"Alright." The General readies us. "Welcome to the resistance fleet." We all break out into applause, except for me. I don't see anything exciting about putting others lives on the line while I try to figure out how to fly and shoot at the same time. I'm actually rather terrified.