“Salvador, why could someone make a political reading of the book?” The teacher asked turning to look at me with what I could only describe as a smug smile.

                The asshole knew I wouldn’t answer, like always. I should answer him in sign language and make him look stupid. After all I could guess that he didn’t know shit about sign language for all the air of intelligence he exuded. I took a deep breath to calm myself down, I didn’t want to do something stupid in the spur of the moment. God knew what would happen if I talked in sign language.

“The class is waiting Salvador,” the teacher said.

                Oh to hell with logic, I would show that asshole who the hell he was messing with. I was about a second away from answering in sign language when someone about two rows in front of me stood up.

“Because of the obvious representation of the oppressing high classes and the oppressed low classes in the relationship of Pozzo and Lucky,” a girl that was sitting a few rows in front of us and who I didn’t know but was starting to like said.

                That took the smug smile off the teachers face. And almost immediately one formed in my face. In the moment I could’ve kissed that girl. Not that she looked much like a girl really. She wore her hair short and black with purple highlights, and her clothes, from what I could see, consisted of a black tee and skinny black pants that hung low on her hips only held in place by a studded belt. Damn, why hadn’t I ever noticed this girl? She looked like we might get on real well, if my gaydar was anything to go by.

“Thank you Gretchen but I was asking Salvador,” the teacher said glaring at the girl.

“But we all know he isn’t going to answer,” Gretchen said nonchalantly.

“All the same, I was asking him,” the teacher said through gritted teeth.

                Right then the bell rang and everyone started to pick up their stuff to get out of the room. I got up and gathered my stuff slowly looking around to see everyone doing the same thing. Everyone wanted to know if the girl was getting detention for what she’d done. Everyone took as much as they could to walk out of the classroom but we knew that if we didn’t hurry we would be late for the next class. The girl gathered her stuff nonchalantly, like she hadn’t just talked back to a teacher. Everyone made their way slowly to the classroom door, wanting to know if the girl got detention or not. We finally go to the door and had no other option but to walk out of the classroom.