Chapter Twenty-Eight

Börja om från början

Hammond stood up, tall and straight, "Yes. I'm ready."

Nikandros gently picked Thea up bridal style and kissed her softly on the lips, "Just please," he emphasized, "tell me if you need a rest." Nikandros gazed deep into Thea's eyes, "please."

She groaned, "It really h-hurts...I can barely..." She coughed once, "breathe."

"Is it better when you're sitting down?" Nikandros asked. A tight knot had formed in his chest and it ached. Anguish filled him, knowing he could do nothing to relieve Thea's pain.

"M-maybe..." She gripped Nikandros' tunic tightly, her knuckles white.

Nikandros set her down and looked anxiously at Thea, "Is it better?"

She nodded, "A little."

Hammond turned back around to the couple, "Shouldn't we be going?" He asked hesitantly.

Nikandros frowned, "Thea, do you think if I carry you we can go for a little while?" He asked, more than a little concerned for his wife.

She began to sob, "I can't do this anymore..." Tears streamed down her face, "it h-hurts too much."

"Oh, Thea. I can't bear to see you like this." Nikandros whispered, "Hammond, you and Ulric go ahead of us. We are going to stay here for awhile." He said finally.

She shook her head, "No. Carry me. I-I'll be fine..."

"Thea," Nikandros caressed Thea's cheek, "The pain is less if you're sitting. We can stay here."

"I don't want them t-too find us."

"We go to the next village and then stop. Ulric and Hammond can go on from there." Nikandros decided.

"Sounds good to me." Hammond agreed.

Gently picking Thea up, Nikandros asked, "Ulric, do you know where the nearest village is?"

Ulric nodded, "Generally, about that way." He pointed in a direction.

Nikandros nodded, "Alright. Let's go." He started walking in the direction Ulric had pointed out. A flash of pain shot up through Nikandros' legs in protest, and he involuntarily stopped abruptly. Ignoring the pain, he started up again.

Ulric raised an eyebrow in questioning but said nothing and walked after him.

Thea looked up into her husband's eyes, "Nik, are you hurting?"

Nikandros smiled, successfully masking the pain his legs were giving him, "No."

She gripped his shirt, steadying herself, "We are married now, you might as well stop lying to me." Thea ordered.

"I'm not!" Nikandros protested and kept walking.

Thea huffed, "Ulric. Would you mind helping me out?" She motioned to her stubborn husband.

Ulric spread his hands in a helpless gesture, "Nikandros, I can carry Thea if it would be easier."

Nikandros shook his head, "I'm fine." He smiled.

Thea tried to push away from Nikandros, "Please put me down."

"No!" Nikandros said definitely, "We'll stop at the next village."

"Put. Me. Down." She pushed away weakly.

"No, Thea." Nikandros said seriously, "Ulric, how far is the village?"

Ulric shrugged, "I'm not sure. Not too long."

Thea tightened her jaw and swung out of Nikandros' arms, landing on the ground with a thump. She grimaced and with great difficulty stood up, glaring at her husband.

"Thea!" Nikandros exclaimed, "What. Are. You. Doing?"

"I'm...walking." She said through clenched teeth.

Ulric stepped forward, "I'll carry you." He offered, "Nikandros, whether you admit it or not, you're too weak."

Nikandros huffed, "I'm fine. Thea, stop being so difficult."

"After you." She retorted.

Ulric cleared his throat, "You two!" He threw his hands in the air, "Nikandros, you are too weak to carry Thea," he gestured at Nikandros, "and you," he looked at Thea, "are too weak to walk." He straightened, "There is a logical solution to all of this! I'll carry her and you will walk." He told Nikandros.

Thea folded her arms, "Fine."

Picking Thea up, Ulric started walking. Nikandros huffed and realized there was no point in arguing.

The group then continued along quietly towards the town.

Ulric stopped suddenly, holding up his hand, signaling the others to stop. "I smell a fire. I think the village is near."

Nikandros halted gratefully, trying to regain his breath. When he recovered, he began, "Hammond and Ulric, thank you for your help. You may go now."

Thea smiled, "Yes, we wouldn't be here if it weren't for you both."

Ulric shuffled his feet awkwardly, "Well I had a debt to pay. I've had a part in some of your pain and I want to apologize."

Thea and Nikandros looked away awkwardly. She cleared her throat, "It's okay, Ulric. It is in the past."

"Thank you." Ulric said from his heart.

Hammond half bowed, "Of course. I can consider you both a friend. Farewell."

"Farewell." Nikandros said, "Thank you again for all you have done for us."

Thea pulled away from Ulric and stood up shakily. Then, unexpectedly placed her arms around him gently in a hug. "I hope all goes with with you and your father."

Ulric was startled for a moment, and then smiled and hugged her back, "Thank you." He said, "Things will work out, even if they work out with me in a dungeon."

Thea smiled, let go, and stepped back as the two men headed away.

Hey guys! I hope you are still enjoying this story! I know there aren't many readers right now, but I want to send a special thank you to all our readers so far!!! Thanks guys:)

Ithildae, Evara, and Aris

Writers:
Hammond: Ithildae
Nikandros: Evara
Thea: Ithildae
Ulric: Evara