Chapter 36

Ten minutes later Uri's hand covered her mouth in silent horror as she watched her father use every bit of his training to beat Ivan to a pulp. The noble audience shared in her silent horror. Troubled mutterings filled the air.

Ivan could barely see through the blood covering his face, and his left arm had been broken in two places.

He could hear the rattling in his chest. Grimacing in pain he barely dodged another punched aimed at his face, only to be knocked down by a swing kick to his neck.

The Emperors chest rose and fell at every breathe he took in his face held a manic look, that had grown more insane, his grin stretching across his entire face. He walked over to Ivan who was attempting to stand up, his arm shaking with the effort.

Kneeling down he grabbed the back of Ivans neck, and using a minuscule amount of strength, he forced him flat down. The cold stone pressed into Ivan's cheek his eyes growing heavy as his wounds were eeking out blood, draining him of life.

"You will die."

The Emperor had lowered his head, so that his whispered words could only be heard by Ivan. His blue eyes were growing brighter, till they looked near white. "I won't forgive you, as my foolish daughter has chosen to do...death is your sentence."

Pulling up, he removed his hand and lifting his arm he bent it so that the elbow pointed down. Raising it higher, he grinned as he felt the rush of bringing down a threat.

With an astonishing speed his brought down his elbow.

**

Something tapped his elbow forcing it aside. Shocked Aine felt his eyes widened when with the same swiftness the flat side of the cudgel slammed into his chest knocking him back with a surprising force.

He skidded, quickly he came to his feet wincing when he finally felt the affects of the cudgel slamming into him. Squinting, he lifted enraged eyes up to face of the one who'd interrupted him, only to feel his head snap to the side from the force of the persons slap.

"Enough!" Angry brown eyes glared up at him, Jess's eyes were bright with unshed tears. She stared up at her husband. Her eyes filled with a mixture of sadness, disappointment and anger. "You-stop this." She said fiercely, "You've done enough...baby, let go of the guilt."

Aine pressed his lips together his solaria slowly started to fade. The color of his eye's returning to their bright blue color that she was so familiar with.

"Killing him will not assuage your guilt." Jess continued, she lifted a hand and placed it against his hot cheek. "I know what you're feeling, but she-." Jess smiled sadly, "She loves him."

"I-I couldn't protect her." Aine said, his eyes only focused on his wife. Not paying attention to his daughter who was currently helping Quincy and Talith carry Ivan from the stage. He hadn't noticed that the entire family had rushed to the stage at the same time to stop him. "I'm the emperor, and-and I couldn't protect her from him." His said bitterly, wetting the tips of Jess hands with his tears.

She made a consoling sound, her own brown eyes swimming with tears. She dropped the cudgel, as it clattered to her feet she wrapped her arms around her husband, she pressed her head to his chest.

"I forgive you." She felt his muscled arms pull her closer, "It's okay love, it's all over. She's happy, and she wants to be with him. You didn't fail her, you've done enough." Jess pulled back and smiled up at him. "Let's go get you looked at."

He nodded quietly, and allowed her to lead him away. The audience of nobles and soldiers dispersed slowly.

**