Chapter 19: A Conspiracy

King Hoxarret Silverheart smiled as he watched the prisoner squirm on the stretching bed. The man was captured while trying to escape from a raid on a secret hideout in his village. The king was convinced that the man had helped the rebels escape from the raid, as it was evident from his inherent screams and pleas for mercy as he was being tortured.

"I swear, I don't know anything about the rebellion in my village!" he cried out in fear. "I'm just a simple man trying to make a decent living!"

"On the contrary, my sources tell me that you've been aiding them," said the King. "They say you were there when the rebels freed a group of young human slaves and killed those who enslaved them. Is this true?"

The man was in a huge quandary; he had to lie to the king or else the rebellion was in jeopardy. He then said, "The rebels knew I was supporting the slavers, so they raided my house and killed my wife and sons. They took my daughter prisoner and said that they would kill her if I didn't comply with their demands. I had no choice but to do it!"

"Indeed," said the king as he turned to stare at the man.

The man pleaded, "You must have mercy on me. My daughter is just a small child; she's seen too much violence in her short life. Her mother and brothers are dead. Please don't do this!"

Just then, a servant came into the torture room, saying, "Your Majesty, I have the little girl in question. She was hiding under her father's bed when we came for her. She's waiting for you in the throne room with Queen Simala."

"Very well," said the king. He was grateful that the queen did not join him during these torture sessions; she would not appreciate the horrible things he did to the prisoners while they were being questioned. "I shall meet her shortly." To the man, he said, "As for you, good man, you have done your duty. However, you are partly responsible for helping those orphans escape from their fate as slaves and now I can't find them. Because you helped the rebels, under duress as you may claim, I sentence you to death."

The man screamed and cried out, "No, no, please don't! I beg of you, my daughter! She's only four years old! I can't die and have her be left alone; I know what you do to orphans! I can't bear to see my daughter as a slave!"

The king said, "What is your daughter's name?"

The man said, "Why should I tell you? You'll only use it to smear me..."

A hard slap from one of the guards in the torture room silenced him. The king said, "Now, I'm going to ask you again and this time, you will tell me the truth. What is the name of your daughter?"

The man knew that he was beaten. He sighed and muttered almost to himself, "Rhiassa."

"What was that?" said the guard.

"Her name is Rhiassa," said the man.

"Indeed," said the king. "And do you remember what happened to the last girl who was named Rhiassa?" The man shook his head. "She was killed on my orders. My son carried them out. If you dare tell me another lie or delay in answering another question, I'll have him cut your little girl's throat and you will watch and not fight him off or save her."

The man grew upset and angry, so angry that he spat in the king's face. The king sighed and said, "So be it. Guards, destroy him."

He returned to his platform and nodded. The man screamed as a rope was placed around his neck and squeezed. The man screamed until the rope tightened and he fell dead. "Such a shame," said the king as he left the servants to dispose of the dead man. "I was so sure he would tell me who was behind the attack."

"I would think that he would be willing to talk," said the guard. "You threatened his daughter and he spat in your face. Such defiance must never go unpunished."