CHOOSE YOUR TEAM

CHOOSE YOUR TEAM

Okay, I’ll come straight to the point. This is about picking the right category for your story.

What do you usually do while picking your category? You just choose the ones that are most befitting for your story. Well that’s what you are usually supposed to do. But when have I suggested that you do the usual stuff?

You gotta pick the right category for your story to become ‘Hot’. Mind you I said Hot not the best. You have played games of dodge ball or football or other such games where you have to play in teams, right? When you are captain you usually have two choices – either pick your nerdy best friend who can’t throw or catch a ball to save her life OR you can pick the best player in your class.

Generally, to save our friend from the embarrassment of getting picked last, we take pity on them and pick them first. But we only do this when it’s all just fun and games. What do you do when you really-really want to win? We just tell our friends to suck it up and pick the good players.

You have to treat the categories presented to you, that way too. Ignore the best friend, that is, the most appropriate category for your story. Place your story in a category which is most likely to get picked by a reader.

Don’t know what I’m rambling about? Well, I’ll give you some facts which will make this easier for you to understand. The category which is most written in is ‘Romance’. There are around 468,000 stories in that category. Know why? Because probably 98% of the wattpad population is female. Girls like to read to read sappy romantic stories (hey! Don’t get offended. I do too). The next most written-in category? Teen fiction! Half (or probably more) of the wattpadians are teenagers (they make me feel old!).

So should you write teen-fiction and romances to get your stories read? Hell no! Like I said, there are already too many people writing in those categories. You probably won’t even get noticed in the crowd. You are probably thinking that this girl is contradicting herself a lot.

Well I DID tell you to pick the categories that are more likely to be selected. So what are these categories? I’ll say go for the Vampire category. Blame it on Twilight or Vampire Dairies but teenagers here seem to seek out this category like moths seek light. That must be the reason why wattpad has a separate category for Vampires because Vampire stories could be easily categorized into Fantasy or Fiction.

 Also you can pick Short stories as your category. There are lots of people who would read them ‘cause they don’t have time for long novels. A quick read is what we always look from time to time. Why do you think I chose it? This surely is not a story, so probably it doesn’t belong there.

What did you say? Your story doesn’t have vampires in it? Well who cares! Even if the word ‘Vampire’ has been mentioned in your story just once in the fifty-first chapter, you can put it in that category (somebody actually mentioned doing that and getting more readers than usual). If your readers ask you about vampires, just keep stalling them and keep telling them that they’ll make an appearance in the next chapter. That‘ll keep them coming back for more. As for short story, it only has to be less than 30 pages long to be in that category.

Also there are hardly any decent science fiction stories here. Historical fiction is also a category that girls like to read in but are less in number. Write something in the non-teen fiction category too, old people like me need something to read too. Write poems, those are quick reads too.

Now that you have an idea about what category to put your story in to get more readership, go and change your story’s category. Put it in a good team.