Chapter 11: Stitches

We walked down the road, our backpacks now full of cans and water bottles from a small store a couple hours back. It's sunset and we are about two miles away from Auxilium. Nolen walks a few feet ahead, holding his crossbow that's already loaded. He scouts slightly ahead, ready to shoot. His cheek has a newly made long cut on it that is leaking blood. James and Ryan walk next to me. James having his sword staff in his hand. Ryan holds his large bowie knife in his hand and keeps looking back, checking for moaners. I hold my sword in my right, a firm grip on it. My arm is now cut, close to my elbow a long cut is made which is also bleeding.

About twenty or so minutes ago we had a run in with a heard. Nine or ten moaners came plowing out of a small store near where we were. I remember the fight so well.

Moaners poured out of a little nearby shop. Limping and reaching as they growl raspy moans.

"Guys look" Ryan said with a hint of fear as he pointed to the moaners.

"Dang it" I mumble as I pull out my sword.

"Comon'" Nolen gestured with his arm as he tightened his grip on his crossbow.

We walked towards a small building with broken windows and a damaged door. We stood prepared with our weapons. James held his swordstaff tight, ready to go. I exchanged quick glances with him and then Nolen and then Ryan. Moaners limped towards us and as they neared we started fighting. Ryan took out the first one as Nolen shot his crossbow, an arrow going right into a moaners eye. James pushes his sword right into one's head. I swing my sword quickly and a moaners head comes clear off. It was a hard battle because there was so many.

At one point Nolen tripped backwards, a moaner pushed him into the wall of the building near the broken window. The window have broken glass around the edges of it and Nolen was being pushed into it by the moaner.

"Nolen!" I exclaimed running his way.

Before I could do anything the moaner pushed him farther back, Nolen moved his face to the side, cutting his cheek on the sharp glass. He let out a sharp breath at the pain of the cut. The moaner grabbed and growled at him.

I didn't have time to take my knife out and if I tried to push my sword into the moaners head it would have hurt Nolen. So I grabbed the back of the moaners shirt and pulled it off Nolen. It flung around, smashing my arm into the window, causing the glass to make a long cut across my arm. I couldn't hold back a slight yell and it cut through my skin.

James and Ryan continued fighting off the moaners and Nolen helped me. Nolen took his knife out and pushed it into the head of the moaner that was on me.

"Thanks" I mutter.

"Same to you" I replies and we continue helping James and Ryan fight them off.

Once they are all are down I exchanged glances with James.

"You two okay?" He asked.

I nod "Yeah" I look down at my arm which is bleeding.

"I'm fine..." Nolen sighed, wiping some of the blood from his cheek.

"Lets head back, get you guys all fixed up" James said starting to walk.

"Agreed" Ryan nodded.

We then started heading back to Auxilium.

I remembered the fight and what happened during it.

As we walked my left arm throbbed, the one that was cut. My right arm gripped my sword as we walked.

"How you feeling?" James asked.