Chapter 1: Running Low

I woke up, the warm sun streaming in the large open windows of the old cabins. My eyes slowly flutter open, I blink a few times trying to adjust my newly opened eyes to the brightness of the sun on the warm morning. It's July now (not that we realize what time of year it is). It's been about a week since we thought we lost James. But really he's fine... That day is now nothing more then a memory.

I took a deep breath, turning my head slightly to the right to see my group, my friends, my family, all around me, still asleep. I then sat up on the ground, stretching my arms and back and popping my neck on both sides as I always do. With that I got up and put my hair back into a nicer braid. 

I got slight chills as I felt a warm summer breeze flow into the cabin through the big open windows, having no glass in them. I sighed, deciding weather to stay or to go for a morning walk down by the stream like I usually do. I made up my mind to go and like usual, grab a piece of paper from my notebook in my backpack and scribble a quick note, putting it on James' face, like usual.

I smirked to myself, for this is my normal morning routine. I put my sword on my back and secured it into place. I then walked outside, putting a hand on my knife that rests in its holster on my belt. I walked down the steep hill and headed towards the stream silently. My step occasionally crunching leaves or snapping twigs. I breathed slowly, relaxed in the woods. I've always loved the woods, it is one of the places I feel most relaxed, besides a roof of course.

I continued my short walk until I find myself at the stream. It runs quickly and is quite deep. A strong current rolls around rocks and bends along the shore, sweeping leaves and even pollen with it. I flashback to the day when I was here a week or so ago when a body was swept down the river. I cringed just thinking of the unpleasing experience.

I sighed and bent down to the water, I cupped my hands and splashed my face with the chilly water to properly wake me. I then look down into the water to see myself. I look different, older, not as innocent as before, more mature and strong. My eye then travel to the image in the water of a person behind me. I quickly stand, spinning around, my hand on the handle of my sword.

"Woah woah woah it's just me!" Nolen said putting his hands up level with his hands in surrender.

Next to him stood Ryan, his younger brother.

I sighed taking my hand off the handle of my sword. "Sorry... Instincts, you know?" I said softly with a slightly raspy voice from this being the first time I have talked this morning. 

"It's fine, trust me I get it" Nolen replied with a nod.

"So what are you two up to?" I asked glancing at Ryan.

"I woke up and you weren't there... So I woke up Nolen" Ryan explained.

"Awe" I smiled "You know I normally go to the stream" I said messing up the hair on his head with my hand.

"Yeah... I know, that's why we're here. I wanted to come find you" Ryan said with a large smile creeping on his face.

I smiled at his innocence and cuteness. Although he's not a big fan of being 'cute' I still think it all the time and say a bit too.

"And he forced me to come" Nolen said casually with crossed arms and a eyebrow raised.

"I did not!" Ryan scolded his older brother. "I wanted to go alone but you said I couldn't go by myself!" Ryan continued.

"Same thing" Nolen scoffed.

"Nu-uh" Ryan squealed.

"Yeah, uh I'm pretty sure it is" Nolen rolled his eyes.