awkward dinner?

Wednesday, October 14

San Diego, California

Soriano Residence

(12:30 a.m.)

Jasmine laid down in the couch watching TV.

"Jazz" Nick said walking inside the house, "we have to go to New York next weekend"

"again?" Jasmine asked looking towards the entrance. "we just came back two weeks ago"

"Actually, only me , you, and Paul are going" Nick admitted, "it's for a magazine interview"

"is it only me?" Jasmine asked sitting up straight. Her eyes gleamed excitedly.

"yeah" Nick walked in front of the couch to face her.

"why?"

"I suppose because you're the main singer" he shrugged, "but if you don't want to do it I could just call and cancel"

"no, that's ok" Jasmine said standing up, "we should leave Friday morning"

"go where Friday morning?" Karen asked walking in with shopping bags. She shot Nick a playful glare

"hey baby" Nick said walking up to her. He gave her a peck in the lips as he took the bag away from her, "we have to go to new York for an interview"

"cross love?" Karen asked with a frown

"no, just Jasmine and me"

"oh" Karen turned and stared at Jasmine

"what?" Jasmine asked feeling uncomfortable

"aren't you suppose to be in school?" Karen asked placing both hands on her hips.

"oh, yeah" Jasmine said with a tight smile, "I have a headache"

"right" Karen said rolling her eyes, "well, since you didn't go to school today you can help me cook" She grabbed Jasmine's arm as she led her to the kitchen.

Jasmine stared at her stunned,

"you're kidding right?"

"no"

"but I've never even opened a fridge". Of course that was a lie. She opened it once to look for ice-cream. Once.

"you're going to have to marry one of this days" Karen said as she walked in to the kitchen letting go of Jasmine's arm.

"yeah, I guess I am". She stared at the knife and white cutting board. Sitting in the kitchen counter

"Oh, you're planning to marry Manuel?" Karen asked washing her hands.

"no. not Manuel" Jasmine said seriously, "remember my mom had told you she was a legacy? I'm in it too" She took out some tomatoes and handed them to Karen as the dark-haired woman motioned her to give them to her.

"oh, yeah, I know everything. You're getting married off?" she asked as she washed the tomatoes

"yeah".

Karen sighted,

"your mom ran away... the government found her in less than a year, no matter how she changed her appearance they always knew where she was" Karen shook her head sadly, "I'm sorry for you to hear this but your mother didn't love your father... Not at first at least. It took her a few years"

"did my father ever love somebody else?" Jasmine asked.

Karen stopped chopping tomatoes "Jasmine I think you should talk about this with your dad"