Part 19

I just wanted to say a quick thank you to tashhaddon, oh_cool, apple6225, and Bubble_Gum_Dreams. You guys have been voting and commenting from the start. I cant begin to tell you what your support means to me.

♡ Haven84

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

My heart is beating a rapid and erratic beat. It's the first time in a week that I've been out of the house for more than a couple of minutes. Now, I'm riding in Aedan's jeep, going to town. Aedan is driving, and he's so tense that his knuckles are white on the steering wheel. Braden is sitting in the back. He has his window cracked and he keeps scenting the air around us.

I argued with a very frustrated Aedan for an entire day about this idea. I'm tired of sitting around, waiting for something to happen. Then we planned for another day. The guys spent hours talking over the different possibilities. Listening to them gave me a headache, and I eventually stopped. Whatever they decide on, is good enough for me.

I felt pretty good about all of this, but now I'm actually out here. The trees on either side of the road look unusually sinister, like someone could be hiding in them. I slide over in my seat, as close to the middle of the car, and perceived safety, as I can get.

Aedan reaches out and grabs my hand, pulling it to his lap. Trying to comfort me. It works a little.

The plan is deceptively simple. Aedan is taking me to lunch and to shop. Braden will be nearby at all times. Tye and Keller are staying at home, just in case he tries something there. But we all agree that he's most likely to follow me to town. And in town, around all of those people, he won't be able to shift. He'll have to try whatever he has planned as a human, and discreetly. Aedan and Braden will be right there. Tye and Keller can be there in minutes. The four of them should easily be able to take him down.

We park in the lot by the strip mall. I wait in the car until Aedan comes and opens my door. My instructions are clear, don't do anything without him. Not a thing.

Braden looks at Aedan and then walks casually away. He has his instructions, too.

"Come on. Let's get something to eat." Aedan pulls me close to his side. I lean into him, and we walk down the sidewalk.

We walk to a small cafe. The guys said it's the most defensible place to eat, whatever that means. We go inside and Aedan leads me to a small table in the back corner.

We order and sit in silence. I know Aedan is in constant contact with the pack, checking for any updates. I find myself looking around nervously. Something is going to happen. And, I guess, that's good. It's why we are here.

For now, there's no sign of Cade. Just the regular town people, going about their lives. Unaware of the drama playing out right under their noses. Our food arrives and we eat quickly. Well, Aedan eats, I pick at my plate, not really hungry. I doubt that there's much of anything that could dampen the appetites of those four. I've decided it must be a wolf thing.

We're done eating and everything is still quiet. Aedan has reached across the table and we are holding hands. My nerves are about shot. Suddenly, he focuses on me. "Still nothing. Tye says it's completely calm at your house. Braden is nearby and says there's no sign in town, yet. And I don't sense anything either."

"What do we do?"

"We keep to the plan. You and I are going shopping."

I sigh. I hate shopping. Aedan pays and we walk hand in hand outside. We stroll seemingly casually down the sidewalk. I know differently. Aedan is alert and tense next to me, eyes scanning our surroundings.

He directs me into a clothing store. We walk around, looking at the clothes. I'm just not into it. I don't like shopping on a good day, and today it's even worse.

"Buy something. We have to be convincing." Aedan tells me softly.

Double sigh. I walk to a shelf of jeans and pick up a pair in my size. Going next to a display rack on the back wall, I start sorting through tops. I've gone through several racks when I find a top that I actually like. Picking it up, I turn around to face Aedan. He's been trailing me closely. I raise a questioning eyebrow at him.

He nods and I head to the register. He insists on paying and carries my bags in his left hand, his right holding my hand. We leave the store and go into the next one. It's a shoe store. I can't help but sigh again.

I buy a pair of sneakers. We spend the next several hours the same way. We go into just about every store in the strip mall. I buy a few more things, but mostly just look around.

"What now?" I ask, frustrated. We'd figured on something happening by now.

"Nothing is going to happen today. If he was here, he would have had plenty of time to try something. We go home and try again another day."

Braden suddenly appears behind me. I know he's been close all day, but I never saw him, he was so well hidden. That's why he ended up being the one to trail us all afternoon. Apparently he manages to blend into a crowd better than the others.

Aedan leads me back down the sidewalk. Braden takes up a position directly behind me. They hand me into the jeep and hurry to climb in with me. In no time at all, we are driving back to my house.

The ride back is slightly less tense. The guys are still alert, but both agree that there doesn't seem to be imminent danger. We pull into my driveway and Aedan hustles me back into the house.

I breath a sigh of relief to be home. Going to town is never fun when you're an introvert. Even less fun when you spend the entire time waiting for a supernatural being to try to abduct you. I need something to do. The others must be hungry, they didn't get to eat lunch.

While I shuffle through the cupboards looking for new lunch ideas, I think way too much. What went wrong today? And did it really go wrong? After all, I don't actually want a rogue wolf to try to abduct me. So, maybe today went right? I am so confused.

Aedan walks into the room and sits at the table. He watches me quietly for a while. I'm stirring the pot of chicken noodle soup when I hear, "We will try again in a few days. I still think town is the best place to confront him."

I turn around and look at him. He's sitting at the table with a serious expression. "Do you think he was there at all, today?"

"I don't know." He runs a hand through his hair. "None of us caught a hint of him. Nothing. But my instincts tell me that he was there. I just don't know how he's getting past us all." He sounds frustrated and angry.

"Well, I'm sure you all will catch him if he gets too close." I really do have faith in him. I know that Aedan and his pack will keep me safe. I turn around and go back to stirring the soup.

I hear his chair slide back, and a second later, Aedan wraps his arms around my waist. He leans down and breathes in deeply next to my neck. As I lean back into him, a low rumble vibrates against my back.

"One thing I do know, we are not leaving this house again until I mark you. My wolf will lose his mind if he has to ever experience another day like today."

******************************

Ok, guys, so, here's the thing... I think we all know what's coming shortly.

Now, for a confession ... I find writing smut awkward. Things will get a little steamy, but not incredibly graphic. Sorry, I'm not writing porn for you all. And that's not the point of this story, anyhow.

Hey, my Mom's on here. I'd like for her to be able to read my stories without dying from embarrassment.

In case you haven't stalked my profile, yes, I am still awkward, even at my advanced age. LOL. Some things you never seem to grow out of. Thanks for sticking with me anyway...

You guys are awesome,

♡♡♡