Part 10

Aedan POV

I glance over at Liz. We're driving back to her house, and she's staring out the window. Quiet, but she doesnt seem unhappy. Far from it. She looks content, a small smile on her face. I've figured out by now that she's a quiet person by nature. She doesnt say a lot, but seems to miss nothing.

She has no idea the honor she bestowed on Braden when she invited him to sit next to her. As the lowest ranking member of the pack, he's used to always coming in last. Having the pack's Luna, even unknowingly, offer him a spot next to her will have meant a lot to him.

If I had any reservations about having a human Luna, she erased all doubt right there. After all, a Luna's  job is to care for the pack members,  sort of like a mother to all. She is already doing that, looking out for their comfort.

She looks my way and catches me watching her, flashing me a bright smile. I thought keeping my hands off of her was hard yesterday. The more time we spend together, the stronger the bond will grow. After today, being with her and seeing more of her personality emerge, it's going to be practically impossible. My wolf huffs out an agreement. He's trying to be patient, but the urge to be with our mate is gnawing at us both.

Humans typically don't have 'mates' and so have a longer period of getting to know each other before going there. Wolves, on the other hand, know instantly when they have found the one. No need for doubt. Combine that fact with the animal instincts always just under the surface, and things get hot fast in a shifter relationship.

I pull back into her driveway and we get out. She walks to the house and opens the door. The dog zooms out and wiggles her way around Liz's feet before rushing to me. 

"That's Hope."

So the spastic ball of fur has a name, I think with humor. Hope reaches my feet, she snuffles in some of my scent, and throws herself down into a submissive posture. Smart dog. I reach down and give her belly a rub. 

The dog lets out a happy little yip, jumps up, and races off. When I look at Liz she is watching our exchange with a perplexed expression. "She's never acted like that with a stranger before."

Technically, I'm not a stranger. Her dog has met my wolf before, but Liz doesn't know that. "I like dogs," I tell her a bit lamely. It's the first thing that came to my mind.

The explanation seems to work for her. She smiles at me. "Me too. Sometimes I think they make the best friends."

My wolf thumps his tail happily at that. "So..." I'm not really ready to leave just yet. "Do you need any help with your chores?"

"That would be great. Just let me change my shoes." She reaches inside and grabs an old pair of sneakers before sitting on the steps and changing out of her boots. Then she motions for me to follow her.

We walk to the barn and go inside. Everything is just like I remember it. Liz is chatting away, introducing me to her pets. I'm entranced by her. She showers a lot of love and attention on these animals, and it shows. They are as comfortable in her presence as she is in theirs.

I watch as she feeds her horses, carry a bucket of water for her, and quickly learn to stay back from the goat pen. They are afraid of me, smart goats. I find myself having an inordinant amount of fun following her around her barn. Way too soon, she's finished with her work.

We walk hand in hand back toward her house. I'm dragging my feet at the thought of leaving her, it doesn't feel right. Actually, she doesnt seem to be in much of a hurry either. Even with both of us in no real hurry, we reach my jeep to soon.

"Well, I guess I should go," I say reluctantly.

"You're probably right," But she doesn't look convinced at her own words.

We are standing next to my jeep, both a little awkwardly, while I try to come up with some reason to stall my leaving, when I decide that I need to kiss her again. I reach up and trace her jaw with my fingers. Her skin is incredibly soft. I move closer and she tilts her head up expectantly. That's all of the encouragement I need. 

I back her up until she's leaning against the jeep, crowd closer and lower my lips to hers. The kiss starts out slow. I brush my lips against hers gently. She tastes amazing. One hand holds onto her hip and the other tangles loosely in the hair at the back of her neck. 

When she lets out a small whimper I growl in satisfaction. Her hands have been resting on my shoulders, but now one works its way up into my hair, sending pleasant tingles down my spine. Deepening the kiss,  I lean into her small body, completely trapping her between me and the jeep. 

She lets out another whimper and the hand in my hair grips harder. Her other hand roams down my back. I'm going to have to stop this soon, but not just yet.

Pulling lightly at her hair, I tilt her head back further. My other hand leaves her hip and curves around her waist to her lower back. I pull her tight against me and kiss her with all of the emotion I can put into it. 

I have to stop now, or I wont. I know that's too much to ask of her yet. I pull back slightly, breaking contact with her mouth. Breathing hard, I rest my forehead against hers for a moment. Her hands go around my waist and hang on tightly. 

My head still resting on hers, I ask, "Can I call you tomorrow?" Maybe a silly question, but I feel like I need to check.

I feel her nodding and hear, "Please."

She seems steadier on her feet, and I think I can finally stand up straight, so I back up a step. Still a little unsteady, she's leaning against the car. Her lips are kiss swollen and her hair's messy, and she looks amazing. I've never seen anyone more beautiful.

Heaving a small sigh, she gets up off of my vehicle and steps away from the door. 

I reach out and brush her cheek with my fingers. Looking into her eyes, "I had the best time today. I'll call you in the morning."

"Ok. I had a good time, too." She smiles like the chesire cat.

I watch her go inside from my rear view mirror as I drive down her driveway. I don't want to leave, but I haven't slept in far too long. I won't be any good to anyone if I'm dead on my feet. Tye and Braden are already in place on her property, ready to watch over her as she sleeps. I'll go home and get some rest. Tomorrow I'll call her. By then I'll  have found an excuse to see her again.

******************************
Hey guys,

I'm looking for those of you more talented than I am at covers! If you have a cover that you'd like me to use for this story, send it my way! My only request is that it have the story title and my user name on it somewhere. Feel free to give yourself credit for your hard work on there somewhere, too!

I'm not sure about this chapter. I've gone over it a hundred times, and I just don't know. I hope it's not too awful :/