Part 2

Cade Winter. He appeared in Blue Ridge Summit 6 months ago. In a tiny town of less than a thousand, new people stand out. I noticed his ice blue eyes following me one day while running errands. As I walked down Main St, a chill ran down my spine. I shifted my bags to my other hand and looked behind me. Those eyes stood out from the crowd, and they were fixed on me. He stood unnaturally still, black hair and broad shoulders, and just stared. Creepy.

As I went on with my day, I kept feeling eyes on me. I'd turn to catch a glimpse of black hair slipping around a corner.

That's how it started, but it progressed from there. One night, while at work stocking shelves at the local grocery store, I felt that chill creep down my spine again. I looked down the aisle, it was nearly midnight, closing time. The store was mostly empty. There he stood, about 20 feet away. "Hi. I'm Cade," he said holding out his hand. I warily jumped down off of my stool, looking him over. Same cold blue eyes, black hair, and broad shoulders that had been following me around town lately. Perfectly styled hair, spotless jeans, and a black sweater. He really was good looking, but it was ruined by the predatory aura he kicked off.

"Elizabeth. " I said and reached slowly to shake his hand. I wasnt about to give him my last name.

There were others still in the store, a cashier and the night cleaning crew, so we weren't alone. "Can I help you find something? The store closes at midnight," I fidgeted uncomfortably. We may not be completely alone, but I doubted any of my co-workers were much of a match for the man in front of me.

"No. I've been trying to work up the nerve to talk to you," He smiled. "You are very attractive."

Ok, he may be pretty but he's still creepy.

"I'm new in town and don't really know anyone yet. I was wondering if you would want to get something to eat?" He tried again.

"I can't. I'm seeing someone, but thanks." I lied through my teeth. No way am I going anywhere with this guy. Turning back to the shelf, I went back to the bottles of ketchup. I was hyperaware of Cade standing there. Not in a good way. The back of my neck prickled and I thought I heard a low growl. I whipped my head around to see an ugly sneer on his face. I was about to jump off my stool and go find the other employees when he suddenly turned on his heel and stormed off. Did he just growl at me?

I had hoped that would be the last I'd see of Cade, but I guess I've never been that lucky. He started shadowing me at work, following me around town, and I suspected he even followed me home sometimes. He never approached or attempted to speak with me, but he was always there. My very own personal stalker.

I shook myself out of the memories. It was 7pm. I had time for a quick call to my friend Anna, before work. I call Anna my best friend, but she is more like my only human friend. Anna, Hope, and the farm animals. It pretty much summed up my life.

I dial Anna's number. She picks up after three rings. "Hello?" She shouts into her phone. The level of noise coming through the line is eardrum bursting. "My roommates having a party again, hold on a minute Liz!" She shouts.

I have no idea how Anna keeps her sanity with a roommate like that. But then, Anna is a lot more outgoing than I am. Tall, athletic, with flashing green eyes, she draws attention wherever she goes. She thrives on adventure. Maybe that's why she is studying to be a wildlife photographer. Traveling the world's most exotic locations would be a perfect way for her to earn a living.

The noise level coming through the phone drops. "Hey Liz. What's going on?"

"Nothing new. I have to go into work soon. I just wanted to talk to you for a minute."

Something in my voice must give me away. "Liz, whats wrong? Tell me that creeper isnt still bothering you," Anna demands. She's not at all happy that I haven't reported him to the police yet.

"I haven't seen him for a while," I neglect to mention that I don't have to actually lay eyes on the guy to know he's there. I feel like such a loser. The only guy interested in me is a stalker. What's that say about me?

"You need to go to the police," She sees right through my evasion. "That's not normal behavior, Liz. This guy is creepy at best. You need to get a restraining order."

And waste the cops time dealing with someone who's worst crime seems to be growling at me? Not likely. "I can't prove anything, Anna. Like I said, I don't even actually see him most of the time."

"I'm worried about you," She tells me. Great, now I'm causing my friend to worry.

"I'm fine. It'll be ok. I've gotta get to work."

"Love you, Liz."

I know she does. She's the only one. "Love you too," I hang up.

After a quick shower, I pull my hair into it's usual ponytail and put on my work uniform. Black slacks and a yellow polo top, I guess it could be worse. Then again, it could be better. I cast a dubious glance at the reflection in the mirror. A little mascara is the only make-up I bother with.

I let Hope back in and give her her evening portion of dog food, fussing over her for a minute. I'm going to have just enough time to get to work on time. Zipping out the door I quickly get into my car. It's a 10 year old silver Honda. With my inheritance, I could afford a newer car, but I like this one.

The drive to work passes quickly. I don't live far outside of town, and I'm lost in my own head. Worrying. What on earth did I do to attract a stalker? Maybe Anna is right. But what can the police do, anyhow? We all know how this will go, they won't be able to do anything about him until after he's crossed a bigger line than what he's done so far.

I'm working four hours tonight. And they fly by, too. Thankfully, I don't feel like I'm being watched. The monotony of opening boxes and lining the packages up on the shelves is somehow soothing. Predictable. I can keep up with my work and manage the running dialogue in my mind at the same time.

I'm still deep in thought when my shift ends. It's 1am and the store is silent. All of the other employees have already dashed to freedom. I swipe my card to clock out and happily go for the back door.

In a hurry and not paying attention, I rush through the heavy door and collide with someone solid on the other side.

-----------------------------------------------------

Hi guys! I hope you all enjoyed this chapter. We met got a glimpse into Liz's life. It's not glamorous, but hey, we can't all be rich and famous.

Anyhow, this book is a first draft, finished story. I have just started to go back through it chapter by chapter, trying to fix mistakes and give it a little more plot. When I first decided to try writing (I have zero experience at this) I never dreamed that something I wrote would get over 14K reads. But, Chance Encounters is there already. And I can't thank you all enough.

I plan to continue editing and improving daily. Your votes and comments are great, keep them coming! It lets me know how I'm doing.