Part 12

Aedan POV

I draw in a steadying breath  when Liz goes upstairs. Wow, indeed. I hear the shower turn on, giving me naughty visuals that aren't helping my current problem. At least her shower should give me a few minutes to check in with the guys.

"What's going on out there?"

"Alpha, no sign of him. It's all clear," Tye sends back. "Braden went to pick up your things. When he gets back, I'm going to send Keller home for some sleep."

"Good. Keep up the good work. I want at least two of us with Liz at all times until we get this resolved." I close down our mind link and start pacing restlessly  from one end of the kitchen to the other. My wolf is on the edge of violence and he wants out. He wants to hunt down the rogue threatening our mate and rip him apart. 

Hope appears at the door and looks at me expectantly. I have to admit, the inquisitive tilt of her head is kinda cute. I open the door and she trots outside. I step out after her to keep an eye on her. Liz would be devastated if anything happened to her dog.

The dog does her business and comes trotting back to the house. I let her back inside just as Liz comes back down the steps. She's wearing a beat up old pair of jeans and a sweatshirt. Her wet hair is pulled up into a ponytail.

"I have a load of hay due to be delivered soon. I'll have to unload it and put it away," She tells me a bit apologetically.

"Ok. Tell me what I can do to help."

"She smiles at me brightly, "I'll always take help moving hay." She pulls on sneakers and leads the way outside. 

I try to discreetly smell the air for any danger. Nothing. I can smell Keller and Tye hiding in the trees, but no other wolves seem to be nearby.

We are nearly to the barn when Braden's red suv pulls into her driveway, so we stop and wait for him. Liz sends him a happy smile when he gets out of his vehicle. "Hi Braden."

"Lun-err, Liz. " He quickly corrects himself. He grins at her happily and shoots a glance at me. Checking to see how much trouble his slip has gotten him into. "Aedan. " He nods respectfully.

"Braden." I send him a quick reassurance that it's ok. I have bigger things to worry about right now.

He hands me my bag. "Thanks." I tell him. I drop the bag at the corner of the barn. He and Liz are chatting about the weather. It is a glorious day. The sky is a clear blue, the sun is shining, and the fall colors are at their peak.

I walk back to them and drape an arm around her shoulders. She shoots a beautiful smile up at me. 

"Well, I should get going." Braden says, smiling at the pair of us. I can feel how happy he is that I've found Liz. She might not be a wolf, but the pack likes her anyhow.

He waves and climbs back into the suv. He's just disappearing down the road when a black pick-up pulling a wagon load of hay appears. The truck pulls into the driveway and stops next to the barn. 

Liz walks over and is opening the barn doors when a guy appears from behind the wall of hay and scoops her up into his arms. She lets out a shriek and I'm just about to lose it, the urge to shift screaming under my skin, when I realise that she's laughing. My wolf is snarling, ready to burst forth. Calm down, I tell the both of us. Keep it together.

Mine! He demands angrily. He's not happy that another man is touching her. Honestly, I'm not liking it much either. Time to make myself known before I lose it. 

I look him over as I approach. He's probably in his early 20s, brown hair, flashing green eyes, and athletic looking. I have to resist the urge to bare my teeth at the guy.