Part 3

Hands grab onto my shoulders and keep me from crashing to the pavement. I register a rush of warmth from the touch at the same time a masculine voice says, "Hey, are you ok?"

My cheeks heat up in embarrassment as I realize I've just charged straight into someone. Real slick, Liz. "I am so sorry! I can't believe I just did that." My gaze flys up to look at the person holding my shoulders.

I think I've been struck dumb. This guy is hot. As in, I've never seen anyone better looking. My hazel eyes meet his blue grey ones and I forget myself for just a second. His light brown hair is on the longer side but it fits him. A days worth of scruff covers masculine features. When he lets out a small chuckle, I realise that I've been staring. Crap.

And then I register the fact that I'm in a dark alley, at one am, with a strange man who is still holding onto my shoulders. What is he doing in this alley in the middle of the night? Unease flows through me. Freaking hot or not, I don't know this guy.

He lets go of me and steps back, giving me some much needed breathing room. "I'm Aedan Carter." He holds out a tanned hand.

I look at the hand offered to me and see the arm is covered in black tatoos, clear up to where it disappears under his sleeve. Yummy. That uncharacteristic thought only makes the blush covering my face stronger. "Elizabeth. I am so sorry for running into you like that. I'm not used to there being anyone out here this time of night." I'm babbling. Shut it. I quickly grab his hand and shake it. Touching his hand sends another rush of warmth up my arm.

"You come out here alone like this often?" I think I see a hint of worry on his features, but it disappears quickly. He looks around himself and takes a deep breath.

Strangely, that breath reminds me of my dog. And the question is odd. Ok, time to go. Why are the hot ones all a little crazy? "It's the end of my shift. Hey, sorry, again." I give a little wave and start backing away. My car is parked at the opposite end of the lot. Just get to the car, I think to myself.

Dang it! My inner harpy screeches at me. What is it with you and the weirdos? Here I am, practically running away from the best looking guy I've ever met, when I hear, "Is it ok if I walk you to your car? You really shouldn't be out here alone."

I look over my shoulder to see Aedan looking alarmed. He tries to cover it, but it's there. He looks around himself alertly again. He hasn't taken a step to follow me, yet. The concern on his features seems really genuine. That concern strangely wins me over, even though I had just been practically bolting away from him. "Ok."

I wait for Aedan to catch up to me and we walk side by side towards my car. He seems hyper alert of our surroundings yet a satisfied smile curves the corners of his lips. Prickles of awareness run up my bare arms. What the heck? I can practically feel this guys presence. Of course, a girl would have to be dead not to notice him next to them. I glance up to see that he's looking down at me. My cheeks heat up and I quickly look away. I am so not used to attention from guys. It's embarrassing, really. What 21 year old is this awkward around someone they think is cute? Oh, that's right, just me. Sigh.

We are approaching my car and I'm scrambling for something to say. You are so pitifully socially inept! I chide myself. Here's this good looking guy who seems oddly sincere and has taken a rare interest in you, and you can't come up with anything. My inner voice can be a real b!tch sometimes.

"So, I know we just met, but I'd like to see you again." I look up in surprise. Aedans looking at me with a hopeful expression. I get the strange impression that if I say no, he will be crushed.

I don't know why, but I trust Aedan on a sort of an instinctive level. Way more than I should, all things considered. "I'd like that."

His face lights up. Wow, if possible he's even better looking now. "Great! When?"

I absentmindedly bite my lower lip and think. "How about a late lunch tomorrow? Around 2?" I look back to his face.

Aedan's gaze is glued to my lips, where my teeth have been lightly worrying my lip. I realize what I was doing, and my face heats up again. "That's perfect. I'll meet you at The Country Inn," He names a local restaurant. He reaches around me and opens my car door, crowding me just a little. He is tall, and built. Definitely my type.

I slid a little shakily into the car, pull the door shut, and roll down the window. "Ok, I'll see you there." I give him a smile. "Thanks for walking me to my car."

"Anytime, Elizabeth."

"Liz. My friends call me Liz." I tell him.

"Liz." His voice is warm and sends an odd feeling of security through me. "Tomorrow at 2."

He steps back and gives me a heartstopping smile. I find myself grinning back as I start the engine and pull out of the parking lot.

******************************
Hi Readers,
Like what you read? Give it a like, or comment. I really do read your comments, and they help me to grow as a writer.

♡Haven84