Ch. 28: Spyder Fred

The tailor passed around the stone floor, his head held high but his spirits starting to falter

      The tailor passed around the stone floor, his head held high but his spirits starting to falter. "This one, it's perfect —" The man's eyes flashed, holding up a poofy monstrosity.

    I could tell he was starting to get annoyed. This was the twenty-seventh dress he has showed me, yet something told me that he was more annoyed with himself than with me, maybe I'm trying his 'expertise'.

     "Nope, sorry but I don't like orange." I touched the scratchy fabric and made a face while Jenna giggled into Lana's shoulder. "And, the sleeves look like they're from the eighteen hundreds..."

     He sighed and tossed it on the floor, into a growing pile of silks and satins. "I'm sorry, it's just I hate dress shopping. The dresses are lovely, but just not my thing."

       "No, no don't worry deary. I, Sireo, will find you your dress, I promise you that." He muttered, flinging things around, then looking at me, then turning back to the racks. "I think- EUREKA!" He shouted and cheered, pulling a spaghetti strapped dress from the rack in the far back while I watched on my stool.

      My twin sister had long ago told me that she was going to go Christmas shopping and we could all just meet up at seven for a ride back to Hogwarts. Jenna had convinced Lana to stay with her, as my "wingwoman" since 'no one should dress shop alone'. I just had the feeling that she was worried I would leave without a dress if they did stay.

      "It is beautiful — why did I not think of it before?!!" He chuckled with a timid grin, and then waltzed over to me. "It's ... a little more mature. How do you think it?"

      I bit my lip and took the dress into my hands. It was silky and soft. The back was far more open than anything I'd dare wear before and it was long enough to touch the ground. "It looks amazing," I admitted. "But, it's pretty long and it's pink - just like Hermione's dress."

      Lana took a step closer and examined it too, reaching out and stopping me as I tried to hand it back. "Hold on."

     "Yeah," Jenna agreed. "Try it on!"

      After a little convincing, I found myself wrapped in a satin gown — feeling much older and much more elegant than I ever had. The dress clung to my bodice like a softer, second skin and fell loosely to the floor in powdery pink folds.

      I looked at myself in the mirror and sighed, seeing my sister peer back at me.

     "I cannot go looking like Hermione. We already look too much like each other," I told them. "It's...it's lovely, Sireo...but." I watched his excitement fade dramatically and he began to worry.

     "What? What is wrong with it?" He looked at it as if he was looking for some kind of stain on the fabrics.

     I frowned, feeling bad. "Well, my twin sister has already bought a dress just like this coloring, and I really don't want to look any more like her than I do now..." I lifted my eyes up from the dress to Sireo to see a wide smile on his face.