As they drive away, Clive pulls up in the Jeep behind me, climbing out with Larkin, Gemma and Olive. Clive gives Larkin a quick bro-hug, telling him to take care of Gemma while they're in France. Then he crosses over to me and gives me a quick hug, kissing my cheek lightly as we pull apart.

"Have fun, Macey, and don't stress about school. You'll be an ace, so make sure you party it up in the City for me." Clive's mouth is tilted in a slight smirk.

"And you have fun traveling the world as a surfer. Don't forget about us when you're making millions. Keep in touch, okay?"

He nods before going to say goodbye to Gemma and while he's doing that, Olive crosses to me. Her eyes are soft, but glistening as well. "Have fun, Mace. This is your chance to start new. Don't let the past mess it up."

"Thanks, O. I love you, sweet girl." I hug her tightly.

"I love you too, Mace. Call often... please. I need you to remember me while you're off having fun."

We pull apart and I smile, though sadness lurks around the edges. "Of course I will. I promise."

Olive hugs me once more and after she says goodbye to Larkin and Gemma, climbs into the Jeep with Clive and they drive away, leaving us with a honk of the horn and waves trailing from their hands.

Gemma, Larkin and I wordlessly turn towards the air terminal and wheel our luggage into the building. We check our baggage and get our tickets ready. We move sluggishly, none of us wanting to say goodbye to each other, our last links to home.

We know we have to leave, though. We know we have to go our separate ways and wish the best for each other. I stop wheeling my carry on after we get through security. Gemma looks at me, knowing what I'm about to say, and Larkin gives a small nod, biting down on his lip ring nervously as he does so.

"I can't believe this is it. You guys are going to France." I beam at them, beyond proud of how far they've come.

Larkin wraps an arm around Gemma and she smiles up at him, tugging on her beanie. "Neither can I," she says, a gleam of excitement lighting her eyes.

I shift on my feet. "This is where I say goodbye and you guys head to the international terminal."

Larkin looks at me, taking the arm wrapped around Gemma and dropping it to hold her hand. He looks at me, his eyes piercing me. "Knock 'em dead, Macey. You'll do amazing at college. And make sure you Skype us every week. I promise you, it'll never be an issue. We'll always be here for you."

I nod, my eyes becoming filled with tears. "I know you will. And the same goes for you guys."

Larkin reaches out, his arms wrapping around me and I hold him, thanking my lucky stars that I've been given an older brother through him. I don't know what I would have done without him these past few months and I don't know how I'll make it in New York without him by my side.

He steps back and Gemma steps up, her thin arms pulling me against her as she hugs me. "I love you like crazy, Mace."

"I love you too, Gemmie. Keep Larkin under control in France... And live it to the fullest, babe. You're living your dream." I squeeze her tightly.

She squeezes back, kissing my cheek before pulling away. "We'll talk soon. Text me when your plane lands, okay?"

I nod. "And you too... Love you guys."

I wave at them and then I turn to leave, and so do they. We're going our separate ways and yet, we'll always be united in the friendships we've built, in the bonds we've strengthened and the home we share. It doesn't matter how far your best friends are from you; it only matters how much they matter to you.

***

When the plane lands at JFK in New York, I get my baggage from the claim area and head to the exit to hail a taxi. As I become surrounded by the bustle of people, I am reminded why I love this city, why I love the resilience of a group of people. We live on; we beat on, as a heart with one purpose. We strive for the best, for the brighter, for the bigger future that looms ahead of us. Each person here is one of millions, but each one has a story as significant as the next. The realization that each passerby has a life as vivid and complex as your own is enough to make me fall in love with this city all over again.

I messed up last time, but this time. I have a better understanding and I'm not escaping my past. I'm chasing down my future and trying to make it better than the days that came before.

•••

A/N: Here's an update for you. I hope you like it!

Things have been crazy for me – so thank you for your patience.

love always, Samantha X