Ch. 27: Bitter Brunettes

Start from the beginning

"Oh, sorry Ron." I sighed and tucked my hair behind my ear, eyes flashing angrily towards Fred. "I'm not going to the Yule Ball- too much drama. But, if you need help finding a date -  I can help you, you see I recently got a date for Lana," My eyes turned on to Fred scornfully, I wanted to see his reaction, so far he looked confused. "You know Oliver Wood, yes?"

        "Oh," Ron frowned a little, seemingly disappointed that I didn't say yes. But, after he thought it over for a moment, he decided that having a little help would be better than nothing.  "Right, 'kay, I'll take you up on that!" Fred's face fell deeply into a scowl at himself as he thought over my words.

     His light eyes flickered as he scoured my face for any lie, but I just cocked my head to the side. I played coy, placing my hands on my hips and arching a stern, solemn brow. The fire crackle behind us and the rest of Fred and Ron's friends dispersed to their own rooms, some mentioning studies while some said nothing at all.

"Is something the matter, Fred?" I hissed, still angry. At least I got to see his reaction- it didn't disappoint. Rolling my eyes, I marched over to the stairs and began to climb them hatefully. Fred reached out for me, but I was too quick, slipping away from him.

"Elle, wait!" He called, running up the stairs. Suddenly the stairs fell out from beneath the two of us, turning into a slide. Quickly, I latched onto the railing, refusing to stop climbing. I heard Fred's body slide to the bottom with a hard 'thunk' but I didn't turn to look at him, I just kept hiking up the slope. "Elle, come on- you can't just hide up there-" Fred called.

"-Fuck off!" I yelled, climbing faster and faster until I couldn't see them any more. It was a lot more difficult to climb a slide than stairs, but at least there was a railing here. If there wasn't, my dramatic escape wouldn't be as dramatic.

Fred's Pov:

"Fuck." I cursed and grabbed a fist full of my hair. I still hadn't gotten off of the ground. I could tell that everyone was staring at me but I knew I deserved it. "I'm an ass..."

       "Yeah. You are." One of Elle's friends piped up, her hazel burning at me under her deep red hair. "She fucking hates you now. And, even though Elle isn't known to hold grudges, I know you won't be off the hook for a while."

Well, I guess my mission for the rest of the break is to get Letter to like me again, or the rest of the year- if that is what it takes.

Elle's PoV:

     "Get up, you lazy bum!" Jenna lightly chirped. I cracked open my left eye, squinting at her as she sat on her bed, fully clothed as her legs swung back and forth. She looked like a child waiting for the bus, with her curly blonde hair tied into two round buns on each side of her neck. Jenna was wearing a Gryffindor scarf around her neck, and her black boots reflected the soft morning light pouring through the stain-glass windows.

      Rolling around on the cool bed, I cuddled with my blanket a little longer. I was having such a good dream. I was having my first kiss (and it was with Fred) and Angelina was in the background, she suddenly exploded for no reason.

     I jolted up, shaking my head with the realization of the dream - no no no. Fred and I were never going to kiss and he was sure as hell not going to be my first kiss. Fucking Fred....that was his new nickname to me.

       "Yoou doing okay?" Jenna asked, her grey gaze hesitantly watching me as I jumped out of bed quickly, and with quiet anger. "Uhhm," she frowned, but shrugged as I didn't reply. "Put on some warm clothes. We are going out today!"