Always

chloe_tringali
a few weeks later

Hermione

I knew I was being ridiculous.

I knew he didn't have a choice, but there wasn't much else I could do, since I had already been ignoring him for more than a month.

It was almost December, and I knew that I would have to speak to him soon.

I made it past Filch and through the castle gates, taking a left turn towards Hogsmeade. I had decided to go on my own today, to get some fresh air and have some time for myself.

Ginny had been with me every step of the way, but after I had told her everything she was ready to kill. I practically had to hold her back from leaping on him at breakfast two mornings later.

I tugged my scarf around my neck, and tightened my coat around me. Pulling my hat down over my ears, I turned my head slightly to the right, only to see a blonde boy with his head down. He was walking quickly with his hands in his pockets, his jumper covered by a thin jacket.

He must be freezing, I couldn't help myself from worrying about him. I knew I had feelings for him, and after everything we had confided in each other, I might even love him. He'd cared about me that night when no one else had, even though I hadn't remembered it. Of course, later on so had Harry, but he was my brother, not boyfriend material. At least for me.

I picked up my pace and put my head down to fight the wind, my curls blowing wildly around my face.

Turning onto the stone path leading up to the Three Broomsticks, I pulled open the door and scrounged for my coins in my bag, the one with the undetectable extension charm on it.

Finally reaching a few galleons, I stepped up to Madam Rosmerta and greeted her, asking for a butterbeer and paying. It was brought to my table soon after, and I got out a book from my bag. A few pages in, the bell on the door rang, opening with a cold gust of air. I looked up to see who it was, and quickly stuffed my face back in my book. It was Draco Malfoy, of everyone in the world.

More than anything, I wanted to forgive him. I just needed to be angry for a little while longer. But he was only going to give me twenty seconds.

I knew he was scanning the room the second he walked in, probably looking for me. That was confirmed the second he sat down in front of me at my table, earning a few strange looks from people sitting near us.

"Hermione, I need to talk to you."

I didn't answer.

"Hermione?"

Silence.

"Hermione, can I ask you something then?"

I'd been wanting to say this forever.

"You just did," I growled.

He gave a short laugh, shaking his head. "Ha ha, very funny Hermione."

I looked up, meeting his eyes for the first time since he'd sat down. I was shocked at the desperation in them. It was as if his existence was over if he couldn't get me to forgive him. But I already had. The moment he reached out to me by sitting across from me in a public place, I knew I did love him. But he couldn't know that, not just yet.

"Hermione, I... I wanted to tell you for so long. I wanted you to trust me, I wanted you to care for me the way I do for you. Once I thought, you know, maybe you did, I just had to tell you, because... Because." He couldn't continue, and I looked down at the table, my book forgotten, feeling tears burn my eyes.